Chapter 48

Ariel's POV

"I'll see you in a while, okay?" Adam says as he gives me a kiss.

Adam insisted that I just catch a ride home with Libby and Liam but I told him that I insisted that I stay and afterward, get a ride home with him. Libby then offered to keep me company for the duration of Adam's football practice since she didn't have anything to do anyway. Of course, much to Liam's dismay, but he understood and told her he'd pick her up when she's ready to leave.

I nod my head at Adam's statement and he soon runs off to join his teammates. 

As soon as I turn to head over to Libby, I hear my name being called out, "Ariel, wait up!" I soon recognize the voice to be Adam's. I look back at him confusingly as he stops right in front of me. He grabs my hand in his and draws small circles with his thumb as he maintains eye contact with his movements.

"I wanna talk to you when we get home..." He still doesn't look at me.

"Oh? About what?" I ask. "Nothing that you should worry about, love." He responds as he looks at me slightly through his eyelashes.

I push down the feeling that I get in the pit of my stomach at what he calls me and then nod my head absentmindedly. "Good." He says with a sly grin, although I can see a hint of something else behind his eyes, maybe nervousness?

He gives me a last kiss on the cheek, snapping me out of my thoughts, and once again, runs onto the field.

I stand in the middle of the parking lot for a while but then shrug my shoulders nonchalantly and head inside of the now semi-empty school to find Libby.

I'm sure if it was something bad, he would tell me right away, right?

I reach Libby leaning against the school doors and we make our way inside of the empty school.

This school is much more appealing when they aren't children walking around and talking about the latest gossips.

I was so busy conversing with Libby through the hollow hallways that I hadn't realized that another presence was among us.

I trip over a foot and nearly fall face flat on the floor if it weren't for my hands stopping the fall midway.

I internally thank the heavens that it was after school and there was no one important to see me fall and cause me embarrassment.

Libby comes to my side and glares in the direction of the source that nearly rearranged my face.

There, stands Elle. A victorious smirk is plastered on her face as she shuts her locker. She's in her little cheerleading outfit which suggests that she is supposed to be at practice.

Libby, obviously unable to contain herself anymore, stomps over in the direction of Elle.

However, she doesn't get far since I place my hand in front of her, resting it on her stomach and bringing her to a halt.

"Seriously, Ariel?!" Libby shouts and her voice echoes through the hallway. "Again? You're just gonna let her get away with this? Please let me get at this bitch!" She glares at Elle who just flutters her eyelashes at her innocently.

"No. Just wait." I calmly maintain eye contact with Elle. I take a step forward but we're still a good distance apart.

"Why do you hate me? I've never done anything to you." I ask her.

The smirk on her face quickly fades at my question and turns into an angry scowl. I don't think I've ever seen so much hatred in a person's eyes before.