Chapter 52

Ariel's POV

Elle takes a small bite out of her cookie as she looks all around the house, everywhere but me.

"You can start when you're ready," I assure her as I take a bite out of my own.

She places the plate on the glass table in front of her as she lets out a sigh, "I... never exactly liked Adam..." She trails off unsurely.

I send her a reassuring smile, gesturing for her to continue.

"I mean... I thought I did, but I guess I never really did." She admits. "Of course he was hot and of course I felt a physical attraction toward him but... I guess that's all it ever was." She continues as I listen intently.

"The sex was good, incredible actually. He was like a beast in bed and--" She quickly stops when she realizes what she said. "I'm sorry, I shouldn't have said that." She says quickly afterwards.

"No... it's okay." I assure her as I raise my hand.

Her cheeks visibly redden and she sends me a small nod.

"I... as I said before, I always knew that he liked you because of the little things. I guess that I was hoping I would be the one to "tame the bad boy" and get him to at least like me but I guess you were that person." She says as she plays with her cookie.

"My parents, they never showed me any affection, not even a "good job!" or "I love you, hunny." Nothing." She pauses. "They would abide by the same routine. Eat, sleep, work and go to bed. Their relationship was toxic. Is toxic." She explains.

She stops speaking for a while, tears silently funny down her cheeks as she recalls the memory. I just sit there, letting her remember in her own space but I really just want to comfort her. I can't imagine how she must feel.

"I'm sorry." She whispers after a while. I hesitantly speak, "About wh--" she cuts me off.

"For everything." She sniffles as she wipes her nose, finally maintaining eye contact.

"I don't deserve this..." She gestures to everything around her. "It's not something I'd like to admit but I was jealous of you, but who wouldn't?" She laughs slightly.

We continue to sit there silently, both taking in this new found information, "I just... want to apologize to everyone and hope they can forgive me. I'm not asking you to be friends with me, I'm just asking for forgiveness." She pleads.

I rest my hand over hers to assure her, "I'll ask Adam to bring everyone over. Is it okay or too soon?" I ask, worry in my voice.

"No no. The sooner the better." She quickly says.

After her statement, we once again sit in silence, but a comfortable one, the ceiling fan being the only noise.

"Do you think they'll still hate me?" She says softly.

She quickly shakes her head, "Of course they would, why wouldn't they?" She answers her own question.

I shake my head at her, "Just relax, Elle. My friends aren't the type to hold a grudge." I try to convince her although I'm really just convincing myself.

"Even if though..." I send her a sly smirk in which she returns a confused expression.

"I'm sure Miranda will remain quite fond of you." I lean forward on my elbows.

The colour of red that I've grown so accustomed to seeing on her cheeks appear, "Yeah?" She whispers.

"Uhuh." I nod.

She doesn't make eye contact for a while as she asks, "Do you... Do you think she likes me?" A small giddy smile appears on her lips.

"I don't know." I lean back on the comfortable couch. "Do you like her? As in... like her?" I wiggle my eyebrows.