Chapter 49

Ariel's POV

Adam and I sat in silence as he drove us back to his place.

With Elle in the backseat fiddling with her fingers.

We had absolutely no idea what to say in order to slice a knife through the tension so we just sat quietly. It wasn't classified as an awkward silence, but it also wasn't very comfortable. Somewhere in between, I guess.

After Elle's little panic attack, I decided that maybe it wasn't best for her to attend cheerleading because of obvious reasons, and also because she was already late anyway. It was cancelled as a whole since she was the captain. 

We just made up a lie and told her to say that she was sick.

Adam and I also came to a small agreement that she shouldn't go home at the moment, especially in her state. Many words weren't said since we were still a little shaken by the whole situation but we still came to an understanding.

I didn't exactly know how I felt about the entire thing, to be honest...

I wish I could say that I understood Elle and what she was going through but I can't because then I would be lying. The only way for me to truly understand is if I had undergone the same experience but that also wasn't the case.

I do however feel that she's a bit easier to read and I do understand a little more of her actions and words.

I'm not stupid and I don't fully trust her, if at all. I don't hate her anymore than I already did of course. But I also don't like her anymore either. As said before, I just understand her a bit better, not her situation.

Adam pulls up in his driveway and we all exit the vehicle. Elle stands there idly as she rocks back and forth on her heel. Adam and I exchange a few glances before we lead her into the house with her behind us.

Libby would have to be the most shocked one out of all of us. After all, she always had a bitter taste in her mouth for Elle and understandably, she told me straight up, "I still don't like her but... I do feel sorry for her, no one deserves that." Her words exact.

She called back Liam and caught a ride here. She should be here any minute though, if not already. 

She couldn't come back with us, at least she said that she wouldn't. Libby didn't know how she would have reacted in the same air space as Elle, much less they would be sharing the same seat.

When we had opened the door, we saw Liam and Miranda sitting there with Libby in the kitchen. Without another word, Adam simply nodded to them and wearily left to go to his room, leaving a very shy Elle still standing at the door.

"Um, hey guys. This is Elle. Elle meet Liam, Libby's boyfriend and Miranda, his sister." I introduced them awkwardly. Elle simply gave a tight-lipped smile with a little wave before focusing her eyes back to the floor.

"Wait, Elle? Isn't the girl-" Liam begins confused before Miranda nudges his side painfully and sends a wide smile at Elle in the process, looking her up and down. Liam winces and sends a glare at his sister and afterward, acknowledging Elle.

I gesture for her to sit and she slowly settles her self beside Miranda.

I then proceed to head off into the kitchen to speak to Libby, "I didn't know they were going to be here." I whisper.

"Well, I'm sorry! Liam had already picked up his sister from band practice, it wouldn't have made sense to drive her all the way home!" She whisper yells.

"Could you at least carry them back to your room?" I ask.

"Sure, of course." She agrees. "Oh and Ariel?" She says. I look at her by the kitchen entrance. "Be careful." She warns me. I send her a nod with a small smile, appreciating her concern for me.