Chapter 14

It takes about 30 minutes to get to Vivienne’s home. It’s located outside of Charming and Oakland. Happy is riding close behind her.

The SUVs turn onto a little path and go a little further. They come to a stop and Happy sees Tony get out of the car and go to a big gate. The gate is fairly tall, and covered. Black as night, and well secured.

Tony goes to a little screen and puts his thumb on it and the gate buzzes. He gets back in the car and drives in. As soon as Happy pulls in, the gate buzzes again and closes.

They pull up further to Vivienne’s two-story house. It’s big but not too big to attract attention. Happy parks his bike and sees all Vivienne’s guys get out, except for her. They all spread out to search outside of the house.

Happy walks up to Vivienne’s window and she rolls it down. “What are they doing?” Happy asks as he takes his riding gloves off.

“This happens every night. They search inside this little compound here, then they go in the house and comb through. It usually takes 10 or 15 minutes. I have to stay in here the entire time.” Vivienne says.

“Did something happen that made them want to do this?” Happy asks. Vivienne shakes her head, “No. They wanted to do it because they know how dangerous it is for me because I’m the only one left of the Reid’s.” she replies.

Happy nods, “I’ll go help search out here.” he says. Vivienne nods and rolls her windows back up.

After about 10 minutes, the guards come from inside the house and Happy gets back to the car. Tony opens her door, “It’s clean, Viv.” he says.

Vivienne steps out and turns to Tony. She hugs him, as well as the rest of her guys, “Goodnight. I’ll see you all tomorrow.” she smiles.

She walks to the door and looks back at Happy, still standing where he is, “Come on in, Happy.” she says. He follows her in and she waves at her guards one last time before shutting and locking the door.

Vivienne turns on the lights and Happy sees a theme of black, gray, navy blue, and white. Happy nods, “Not bad.” he rasps. She looks at him and smiles.

She goes and sets her things down on the sofa. She looks around the room, “Delilah! Joanna!” she calls. One Siberian husky and one pitbull come running into the room. They sniff Vivienne and turn their attention to Happy.

“Stay still, let them do it.” she says. “Why I gotta be still?” he asks. “They’re very protective. They’ll bite you if they have to.” she chuckles.

The dogs step away from him, “I guessed you passed the evaluation.” she smiles. “This,” she says as she points to the husky, “is Delilah. This is Joanna.” she says as she points to the brown pitbull. Happy lets them sniff his hand and pets them.

“Want a drink?” she asks. He declines and she goes to the kitchen. She gives her dogs food and fresh water. She goes back over to Happy, “I’m going to change into some more comfortable clothes. You can make yourself comfortable.” she says as she goes up a big flight of stairs.

After a couple minutes, she comes back down in a t-shirt and silky pajama bottoms. He can tell she isn't wearing a bra underneath, and he tries not to look.

She walks over to what he assumes is the back door and opens it, letting her dogs out. Happy follows her as she steps out. “You know, I didn't take you for the dog type. For any kind of pet, really.” Happy comments.

“Oh no, I love dogs, especially these two. I love animals as a whole. I rescued them both around 3 years ago. They were on the brink of death. But, I got them healthy and now they love me so much, and the feeling is mutual.” she says, smiling as she turns her head to him.

She turns back and laughs as she sees Joanna chasing Delilah around the yard. Eventually they both come back to the porch and they all go back inside. “Are you hungry? I can make you something, but it’ll be pretty simple. Like a sandwich or something.” she says.

“I could eat. Didn't really eat much at the party.” he replies. She makes him and herself a turkey sandwich and they eat together. Happy sneaks bits of his sandwich to the dogs and Vivienne smiles.

They finish eating and when Vivienne cleans up, she goes to the counter and Happy stands in front of her. He puts his arms around her waist and kisses her. She kisses back and pulls back.

She gazes into his dark eyes, “What are you doing to me, Happy Lowman?” she asks. “What are you doing to me, Vivienne Reid?” he asks back.

They look into each other’s eyes again and Vivienne yawns. “I need to head to bed.” she says as she walks over to the stairs. She walks up a few before turning around. She clicks her tongue and her dogs run up the stairs.

She turns her head to Happy, “You can come too, Happy. I wouldn't want you riding so late in the night.” she says. Happy obliges and goes to the stairs. Vivienne stops him before he goes further, “But no sex.” she winks.