Chapter 21

Vivienne is putting her files for Amour away and her cell phone rings. She recognizes Tyler’s number. She accepts it, “Hello?” she answers.

“Viv, it’s Tyler. We need to meet, ASAP.” he says, almost in a panic.

“What’s going on?” Vivienne asks. “I don't wanna tell you over the phone. We might be being watched. Meet me at the docks in 20 minutes.” Tyler says.

Vivienne nods, “Alright. See you then.” she says as she hangs up.

-

Vivienne is standing by the water, looking at the California sun setting, when she hears a car pull up. She turns around and Tyler is walking up to her. He shakes her hand, “What’s going on, Tyler?” Vivienne asks.

“Cops picked up one of our dealers. They got a sample of the coke we just got from you.” Tyler says. “Do you know why? Or was it just a coincidence?” Vivienne asks.

“Someone OD’d from it. Trail led back to him.” Tyler replies. Vivienne turns around, “Shit.” she whispers. She turns back to Tyler, hands on her hips, “Is this dealer loyal to the Niners?” Vivienne asks.

Tyler shrugs his shoulders, “Why do you ask?” Vivienne sighs, “Do you trust him not to rat you guys out?” she asks.

“He’s just a street-level dealer. He’s not really in deep with us. Just getting the coke from us to sell on the street.” Tyler says.

“That’s enough for me to believe he could rat.” Vivienne says. “You don't have to worry, Viv. He doesn't know who you are or what you do.” Tyler replies.

“Everyone that lives or works in Oakland knows what I do, Tyler. They just can't prove it. I can't take the risk. Your dealer knows the guy who supplied him. Chances are that guy knows me. It’s a chain reaction. Right now, I’ve got other things to worry about and I don't need this. So you need to find a way to persuade this dealer not to say a thing.” Vivienne says.

Tyler sighs but agrees, “Alright. I’ll get on it.” he nods. Vivienne gives him a small smile and shakes his hand again. She watches them leave and heads back to her car.

“What happened?” Tony asks, leaning against the car. Vivienne sighs, “Someone OD’d from the coke we just gave the Niners. Cops picked up the dealer. I asked Tyler if he thought the guy would rat, but he wasn't sure. We can't take those kinds of risks right now, Tony.” Vivienne sighs.

“Tyler gonna do something?” Tony asks. “Yeah, I advised him that he should persuade the dealer not to say a word.” Vivienne replies.

Tony can see the worry on her face, “What’s wrong, Viv?” he asks. She looks at him, and leans against the car with him, “I don't know..I guess it’s just that someone OD’d from the coke that I supplied. The whole risk of a rat in our midst, I think it might be time for a change.” Vivienne says.

“What type of change?” Tony asks. Vivienne sighs, “Well, maybe we stop selling coke. Not stop drugs altogether, because that’s most of our income, but, maybe something lesser on the food chain, you know?” she says.

“Like weed or something?” Tony asks. Vivienne nods, “Yeah, that’s exactly it.” Tony nods, “Yeah. That way..uh..if you ever get arrested, God forbid it happens, but if you ever do, the charges might be less.” he says.

Vivienne looks at him with furrowed brows. Why would he say that? She shrugs it off and just nods, “Yeah. Let’s see how this dealer thing pans out.” she says. She pats his arm, “Let’s go home. I think we’re done for the day.”