Chapter 12

It had been a week since the twins as well as Dr. Trent came, and I was slowly but surely on my way to recovery. I had been slowly gaining weight, but I could tell that they were still worried about me.

I hadn't been able to leave the bedroom because Xavier had been nervous about my well being. I had accepted his wishes and had stayed put for the whole week, but the urge to leave and get out of the room was so strong that I couldn't ignore it anymore.

So, as soon as that week was up, I snuck out of the room and made my way to the back porch to watch the sunrise. I knew that Xavier would try to find me, but I didn't care. I was at peace, rocking back and forth in the swing that was put on the back porch and watched as the world woke up and get ready for the day.

My whole body was relaxed, and I was at peace watching the pure bliss before I had to go back to the room where my baby was waiting for me as well as my "stand in".

Julian was laying in the bed that I had been in fast asleep. He was covered in blankets so that no one would know that I was out of the hospital room, even though Dr. Trent knew.

He had heard us planning one day and said that he wouldn't say a word if I ever did it. He was true to his word and helped me escape the room by distracting the nurse that was in the lobby.

I felt someone's presence behind me and could feel their scowl on my unturned back. "I wanted to see the sunrise, I couldn't see it," I said, finally breaking the silence. "You can sit down, too."

"You should be in bed," he said, his voice cold. He didn't move from his spot, and I didn't turn to look at him, watching the colors of the sky turn to a rosy color. "You shouldn't be out here."

"It's not the first time I had done this, Alpha," I said. I kept pushing myself in the swing and didn't move from my spot. "I was getting antsy staying in one spot."

"You're still healing, though." Finally, he moved from his spot and walked over to me. He sat down, his warmth warming up my cold body. "How long have you been out here?"

I shrugged my shoulder and tried to tuck my legs closer to my body only to stop and wince. "I don't know," I said. "An hour or so?"

Xavier growled softly, and I could tell that he shook his head. "You're freezing," he noted, watching as my body shake a small bit. He hesitated but moved closer to me, his body warming up mine.

I sighed happily and tucked myself closer to him, making sure that I didn't upset my stitches. "And you are warm," I said, still keeping my gaze on the sky. I watched as the first rays of the Sun peaked out from behind the mountain. "My mom used to tell me that the Sun's first rays were Wolves welcoming those that had died the night before and the second rays were Wolves saying goodbye to Pups that had been born. She used to wake me up before the sunrise, so we would say goodbye and hello to all of the Wolves that had passed or been born."

Xavier didn't say a word and looked at me. He was silently urging me to continue and say something else.

"My dad used to keep me up to watch the sunset and the moonrise. He told me that no matter where I was at in the world, the Moon was the same for the both of us." I cleared my throat and licked my lips, my throat closing. "He said that if I ever talked to the Moon and I was talking to him, he would answer me back, and tell me how much he was proud of me and loved me."

He placed his arm around me and pulled me closer to him. He squeezed my arm, telling me to continue.

"When they died, I tried to do what they had done with me, stay up to see the sunset and wake up early to watch the sunrise. I wanted to catch a glimpse of them, greeting the Wolves that died the night before, but I never did." A single tear fell from my eye, but I made no move to wipe it away. "But, that didn't hurt me as much as watching the moonrise. I talked and I talked to the moon, trying to contact my father, but he never answered back." My voice shook. "I wanted to hear that they were proud of me, but I never heard them not since the night that the Rogues took them away from me."

"Did they tell you that they loved you?" he asked, speaking for the first time. "Your parents?"

I nodded my head. I could still hear their screams as their throats were ripped out by the Rogues. I could still smell the blood and the Rogue stench as they mauled my parents in front of my eyes. "They told me that they loved me when they set me in a spot to hide. They never thought that experience would be the last we had together."

"What happened to them? The Rogues?"

"I killed them," I said, my voice shaking half with anger and half with pain. "I don't know how I did it, but I killed them. They were searching for me because they had heard me whimpering as I had shifted into my Wolf form. One got close to me and saw me shifting. He turned around to let his leader know that he had found me, only to have his throat ripped out before he could."

Xavier stiffened but didn't move away. His gaze was on me, trying to read my expressions. He was silent, unmoving, and I had no idea how he was feeling.

"You aren't the monster that people warn their kids about," I said, finally peeling my gaze away from the sunrise. I stared at him, my eyes hard and filled with the pain that I had felt all the time. "I am."