Chapter 52

A/N: I think this song fits well with this chapter. <3 This can be from both character points of view.

~Rissa

_______________________________________________________________________

"So, where are we going?" I asked, heading the way he wanted me to go. I glanced at him before looking back at the road. My heart pounded in my chest, and I couldn't help but feel so lucky to be with a man like him, a man that loved me for who I was and didn't care about the stuff I hid from him.

He was a beautiful soul that I knew could trust my family with while I did what I did. He would be able to protect them if he didn't lose a part of himself completely to the darkness that was underneath his skin, something that I prayed my cousins could keep him away from.

"It's a surprise," he said, softly. He glanced at me before looking back out the window as he tried to remember where he wanted us to go. He was hesitating, and I knew that he was having problems remembering which direction, but I had a feeling I knew where he was wanting to go.

I rolled my eyes, not a fan of surprises because of the two assholes I called my brothers. "Are we going to Pablo's Grill and Chill?" I asked. I smirked when I saw him stiffen, and that was my confirmation that we were going there. "Reach into the back, and pull out the bag that Sergio gave you, please," I said.

"Why?" Xavier asked, reaching into the back and pulled the bag into his lap.

"Because we have secret roads everywhere to get us quickly from place to place," I replied. "Check the front pocket. There should be a small, flat, circular device."

Xavier did what I said and pulled out the device. "Now, what?" he asked.

"Take off the sticky part on the back and stick it onto your dashboard." I glanced at him when I felt his scowl. "It won't damage your baby," I teased, knowing full well that he cared about his cars, especially the black beauty we were driving in.

Xavier grunted but didn't reply. He pulled the sticky part off of the back and stuck it on his dashboard. He watched as I tapped the flat surface creating the thing to light up and ding. "Uh..." he asked.

I didn't reply as I rested my wrist over the circle causing it to ding again and the light turned blue. "It's a device that helps us go onto our secret roads. Each Guardsmen has a chip in their wrist," I explained. "We use them to activate stuff as well as open gates. It's like our second ID if we get killed, and someone takes our tag before burning us until we are unrecognizable."

Xavier didn't say a word but nodded his head. He looked like he was wanting to say something but didn't know how to say it. He was stiff, and I could feel this tension in the air that I had not felt before now, and it was making me anxious.

"What is it?" I asked, glancing at him before looking at the road. I tapped my finger on the steering wheel starting to feel anxious and on high alert.

I knew that he wanted to ask me about my behavior, and I prayed that he wouldn't. I didn't want to lie to him, and it pained me that I was going to have to lie about what I thought about him.

Xavier sighed and shook his head. "It's nothing," he said, his voice cold and telling me to not question him. He cleared his throat and hesitantly reached for my hand.

I smiled at him and took his hand in mine. I loved the warmth he provided me and this sense of safety that I had never felt being with Camen.

"We can talk later, about everything, ok?" Xavier asked, hesitantly. He turned to look at me, but I didn't look at him while I tried to keep my emotions in check. "For now, I just want to be with you and have a good time."

I smiled and nodded my head, the pain in my heart becoming dull but still there. "Ok," I said, squeezing his hand. "For tonight, let's just have a good night just you and me."

"Together?"

"Together."

***

We made it to Pablo's Grill and Chill about thirty minutes later, with me taking one of the secret roads and scaring the shit out of Xavier when I pulled off the main road and onto that road.

I had explained to him that it was safe after laughing at his shocked expression.

He asked questions about how I knew it was safe and everything, and I happily told him, even though there were probably things that I had said already in my file, and I knew that he had read it. He coaxed me into telling him about my time with the Guardsmen, something that Camen never allowed me to do.

I obliged and told him of my many accomplishments and failures, not holding anything back.

There were times when I became hesitant because I felt like I had talked too much, but Xavier quickly made sure to coax me into talking more.

And, that was how we arrived at Pablo's Grill and Chill where Xavier decided to run out of the car and open the car door for me.

I stepped out of the car and locked the door after he closed it shut. "Thank you," I said, smiling at him. I took his hand in mine and leaned against him as we walked to the entrance. "So why did you choose here for our date?" I asked.

"I didn't want Bill to be mad at me," Xavier said. "And, you did say that this was your ideal first date."

I shrugged my shoulder. "Bill wouldn't have been mad at you," I admitted. "But, thank you for taking me here." I placed a kiss on his cheek. "I appreciate it."

Xavier didn't reply but nodded his head. A look of relief filled his eyes, and I could tell that he was glad that I was happy with his choice.