Chapter 13 (Edited)

"No, you aren't," someone said from behind us. Anger filled their voice, and I knew it was because I had been degrading myself. "Don't listen to them."

Xavier pulled away from me, causing me to wince from pain. He turned around and glared at the people I knew were there.

Justin and Julian walked around the swing and leaned against the fence in front of us. Both men had scowls on their faces and were scowling at me, causing me to look down.

"You aren't a monster, Cass," Justin said, softly. "I thought we had gotten past that way of thinking."

I looked down and shrugged my shoulder. I knew that what they were saying was true. I shouldn't think myself as a monster, but there was no way for me to think any differently especially since I had been told otherwise by someone who told me that they loved me while beating me black and blue.

Justin studied me, and I knew that he had a feeling why I was acting this way. "Did... he tell you?" he asked, knowing that I didn't want Xavier to know who my mate was, even though there was a chance that Xavier already knew. "Did he tell you that you were a monster?"

I hesitated but nodded my head. "He told me... that I was a monster while he was beating me," I said. My hands shook from nerves, and my heart started to pound.

I wanted Xavier to move closer to me again, to comfort me like he had been doing. However, I knew that he wouldn't with the twins standing in front of us with identical scowls on their faces.

Justin catching my look looked at Xavier. He understood that I wanted him near me, probably knowing that I was thinking nothing could harm me with a strong Alpha at my side. "You may move closer to her, Alpha," he said. "Cass feels protected with you near her."

"More than she does with us," Julian said, grumpily. His scowl deepened, but I could see this small smirk on his face.

"I still haven't forgiven you about the lizard," I grumbled, causing them to look at me with wide eyes.

"That was years ago," Julian said, causing Justin to laugh. "And, it was Justin's idea."

Justin chuckled and nodded his head. "To watch the scary movie not to traumatize her by dropping a lizard on her when there was a part that a lizard jumped out of someone's eye socket. That was your idea."

"But you knew and didn't say anything."

"I didn't think you were going to do it," Justin defended. "It was funny to see Dad come in with a shovel and then scream, too."

I smiled at the thought of my tough Uncle jumping onto the table, calling for his sister to come to take care of the bastardly intruder.

Unfortunately for him, it had caught the attention of the Guardsmen and they stormed in to see what was wrong, only to see me on top of a bookshelf, the King on the table in the living room, holding a shovel, and the twins laughing their asses off all the while a lizard running around the room until my Aunt had grabbed it by the tail and stormed outside looking scarier than the lizard.

"Aunt Heidi was furious," Justin said. "We had interrupted her "me time"."

Julian shuddered. "And I thought that the Guardsmen were scary."

Xavier, finally, tucked me into his arms, causing me to sigh happily. He stayed silent as we reminiscent on the old times, looking rather confused.

"Our Dad hates anything scaley," Justin said, noticing Xavier's confused look. "That includes snakes and lizards."

"The Guardsmen tried to put a snake in my bed once after all of that," I said, causing him to look down at me. "They thought I would be scared of the snake, but I wasn't. I used it to scare another one of the Guardsmen that was afraid of snakes."

"I thought Guardsmen were supposed to be these fearless Warriors," Parker coming out with TJ and Clara following him. "That's what I was lead to believe."

"They are," Justin said. "They are very fearless. I mean, Cass faced a Worber when she was only ten."

"Yes, because your stupid ass decided to antagonize it," I said, causing him to shrug his shoulder. "And, I killed it."

"Almost dying in the process," Dr. Trent said, walking out. He scowled at Justin causing him to grin innocently. "Your baby needs to be fed, and he can't be outside just yet. And, you, you need to get indoors yourself. You are still healing."

I sighed and nodded my head. I felt Xavier shift away from me and took his hand when he held it out for me. I wasn't able to stand, so Xavier picked me up and started to walk back inside where my son was waiting for me, the only thing that still linked me to him.