Chapter 4: War

"Ladies and gentlemen, dinner is served." Louis said as he hands you guys your bowl of stew and he sits down at the end of the table.
"Thanks." You said. "Yeah, thanks man." Clem said, smiling. "Wow. I can't remember the last time we had a hot meal." You said to Louis as you take a sip of the stew. "Mmmm." You hummed as Clem takes a bite as well. "This is really good." Clem said while AJ picks up the bowl and starts to pour the stew in his mouth.

Ruby glares at him while Louis let's out a burp. "Ugh, come on!" Ruby said, annoyed. AJ looks around at everyone for a moment then begins to slurp and drink the stew. "Hey, slow it up, AJ." You said. "Yeah, you're gonna choke, kiddo." Clem said, firmly. AJ looks over at you two then sets his bowl down and picks up a spoon.

"Just because everything else died, doesn't mean manners did." Ruby said, smiling, then she starts to get up. "I'll say goodnight." She said. "Goodnight." AJ said then he looks down at his empty bowl. "Guys?" He said as he looks up at you two.

"I'm sorry, buddy. I'm sure they shared as much as they could." Clem said as Louis looks down at his bowl then over at AJ. "AJ, heads up!" He said and he pushes his bowl towards AJ. "I'm full, kiddo. You can have the rest." He said.

"You sure?" You asked Louis.

"You bet." Louis said and you and Clem nod at him, appreciatively.

"I'm all done." You said after a few minutes of eating. "Same here." Clem said. "Mhmm. Me, too." AJ said, smiling. "Now what?"

"I'll tell you what." Louis said as he stands up and spins the chair around. "Time for something....very important." He said as he pulls out a pack of playing cards. "Oh, God, goodnight." Brody said as she gets up and walks inside the school. 

"Violet! It's time!" Louis shouts and Violet gets up from the other table and Marlon picks up the bowls.
"What's the game tonight, Lou?" Marlon asked. "War." Louis replied. "The oldest game around. A game played by man and beast alike. The only game there is."

"Sounds fun." Clem said.

"Yeah, how do we play?" You asked them.

"It's easy. Everyone gets a stack of cards, everyone flips one over. Highest card wins." Violet explains.
"And the winner gets to ask Clem and (y/n) a question." Louis added and you and Clem look over at him. "What? I want to get to know you guys. We all do." He replied.

"And what if (y/n) or I win?" Clem asked him. "Then you get to ask us one. It's only fair." Louis replied.
"Wait, what about AJ?" You asked as you look next to you and see that he was gone. "What about him? Looks like he's made a friend." Marlon said as he points to the table behind you.

Both you and Clem turn to see AJ sitting at the table, talking to Tenn.
"C'mon, you two can take your eyes off him for one card game. I'll bet you three could use a break from each other." Marlon said. "Yeah, maybe. This is his first time around anyone his own age." You admitted. "Yeah, sometimes he acts more like an adult than a kid. It's nice to see him act like a little boy again." Clem said as you two turn to face the others while Louis passes out some cards to everyone.

"Louis? If you would?" Marlon said and Louis nods and he flips a card and so do the others. You and Clem flip your cards and you see you had three diamonds and Clem had five clubs while Louis had five diamonds and Marlon had three clubs. But Violet had a King of hearts.

"Way to go me." She said, smiling. "So about AJ....where are AJ's parents?" You and Clem jump in slight shock at this as she said. "You three don't really look related, so....what happened there?"

"They're dead. They were nice people." You replied. "For the most part." Clem added. "It makes sense. He's a nice kid." Louis said. "For the most part." Clem chuckles and you guys flip your next card and you got a King. "Hey, I win." You said, happily. "Hey, you do. So what do you guys want to know?" Louis asked.