Chapter 9: A Familiar Face

You and Clem were sitting on one of the beds, you pulled your legs up and pulled them close to your chest while Clem just sat there in silence, staring off into space. AJ was, repeatedly, kicking the wall in anger. All three of you were waiting in anticipation for the results of their results.

"AJ, stop. You'll break your toe or something." You said to him after a few moments of him kicking the wall. But he continues to kick the wall. "Come here, sit down." Clem said to him. "No!" AJ replied. "It didn't work! I did what you two said, and they didn't even care!" He said as he stops kicking. "I know that I was bad, but-but they don't wanna let me fix it!"

"AJ, breathe. Remember what we do when we're mad?" You asked him as he goes back to kick the wall. "C'mon. You don't wanna be loud, do you?" Clem asked him. "What do we do when we're mad?" AJ stops kicking and clenched his fists to his side. "We stop, and think, and, um...." he replied as he shakes then he turns to you two and said, angrily. "I'm still really, really mad. I know I'm not supposed to get mad. Or sad. Because, then I do dumb things."

"And you have every reason to be upset. We'll deal with it together. Okay?" You said to him, calmly. AJ takes a deep breathe and said. "Okay." As he exhales. "We stop, we think, and we....breathe." Clem said to AJ, who takes a few deep breathes.

"Feel better?" You asked him and he glares over at you two. "You're still mad, huh?" You said. "And, uh, I think I'm sad, too." He said as he gives you two a sad look. You set your legs down on the floor as AJ walks over to you two and sits between you and Clem. Both of you hug him.

"I did what you guys told me to." He said. "We know. You're a good listener." Clem said to him. "I wanted to make then all feel better. It didn't work. Why'd you guys tell me to do it, if it didn't work?" He asked you and Clem, sadly. "We don't know that it didn't work. They might've voted for us to stay." You said, hopeful. "I don't know. They seemed pretty mad." AJ said.

"Violet was on our side. Maybe she'll persuade the others." Clem said to him. "Yeah, maybe." AJ mutters. "I don't wanna go." He said as he looks up to you two. "We know, buddy. We know." Clem said. "I like knowing where we are all the time. The bed, the food. I like the other kids. Not all of them, but Tenn, and Louis, and Violet." AJ said when you guys hear three knocks.

The door opens and Violet and Louis walk in. You three stand up as Violet walks up to you guys but she was looking down. That's not a good sign. You thought. "We took the vote. You have to leave." Violet said as she gives you guys a sad look. "Don't we get to vote? I vote that we stay." AJ said. "That's not how it works." Louis said to him.

"Maybe it should be." Violet said to Louis. "You don't have to like it." Louis yelled at her. "Good, cause I don't." Violet snapped at him. "Fine, I get it. We'll learn to live with your decision, somehow." Clem said, annoyed.

Violet turns to you guys in shock.
"Seriously, that's it? You two know that this is fucking wrong, and you're not gonna fight it at all?" She asked, angrily. "What's the point? You've already decided." You yelled. "Yes, we have." Louis said as AJ looks down at the floor on the verge of tears.

"So fucking stupid." Violet mutters.
"You said you'd go along with it, if we voted fairly." Louis said to her. "It's bullshit, and you'd know it if you weren't so used to burying you head in the sand." Violet growled. "Oh, I'm burying my head in the sand? Hate Marlon all you want, but you can't tell me AJ isn't dangerous, too." Louis said as he points at AJ, who looks up at him in fear. Louis, realizing what he said, looks over at him then frowns as he turns his head away.

"We'll wait for you to pack up, then Louis and I'll escort you out part the safe zone. We'll make sure you get to the road safely." Violet said. "Thanks for making sure that we--" Clem started to say until AJ yells. "No! Don't thank them! It-it's their fault we gotta leave! They're gonna get rid of us!"