Chapter 10: James, The Whisperer

You and Clem walk behind the stranger while AJ was moaning and groaning in pain. The stranger stops and points at a large tree trunk.
"There." He whispers and Clem goes over to the branch and lays AJ down. You felt terrified once you saw the wound on AJ's stomach. Then the stranger sets a lit torch in the hole in the branch then he grabs AJ's shirt, looks up at you two for permission.

You and Clem nod at him and he, slowly and gently, pulls up AJs' shirt for you guys to see the wound. "Get the shrapnel out." He said to you and Clem. "Wh--us?" You and Clem asked him. "One of you and the other can help me hold him still." The stranger said. You look over at Clem and said. "You help hold him and I'll get the shrapnel out." 

Clem nods, hands you the small knife and he goes and holds down AJ's feet and the stranger goes over the other end and holds up AJ's arms, making it easier for you to get to the wound. Then you go and remove all the buckshot you could find while AJ was gritting his teeth and doing his best to not scream really loud.

"Trying not to be loud." AJ mutters. "It's okay, AJ, just breathe." Clem said as you finish getting all the buckshots out. The stranger removed his hands off of AJ then looks over at you. "Put your hands there. Stop the bleeding." He said as he points at the wound. 

You placed your hand over the wound while Clem takes his hand off of AJ 's legs and the stranger pulls out a tape.
"It's okay, AJ. He's just gonna patch you up." You soothed him as the strange runs the tape over the wound. "It's enough, for now." He said and he takes the torch and walks over to a little camp.

AJ tries to sit up but you and Clem push him back to lay down. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, easy, easy." You said to him, softly. "Where's our stuff? My gun?" AJ asked. "We lost it, buddy." Clem said to him. "Louis and Violet ran. They're safe." AJ said. "Yeah, probably." Clem mutters as AJ lays back down.

"It sucks." He mutters as you and Clem give him concern looks. Then Clem looks at you and asked. "You okay?" You look up at him as he continues. "I mean....that...that had to be some shock, finding out she's still alive." He said and you frown and look down. Clem places his hand on your shoulder and you look back him and give him a sad look. In that moment, Clem suddenly saw you as the terrified eight year old girl that he knew many years ago.

Suddenly, AJ starts to shake and taking sharp intake of breath. You guys break eye contact and you look over to see the stranger had set up a firepit and Clem picks AJ up and you guys walk over to the little campsite. Clem sets AJ down and he sits up and leans against the large branch then Clem sits next to him and you sit next to Clem.

"I didn't mean to endanger you. The walkers were sent to help you." The stranger said. "You sent the walkers?" Clem asked him. "Was part of a group. Call themselves Whisperers. They've learned to live in herds, among walkers. Move among them. Sometimes, guide them." He replied.

"Why are you alone? If you were part of a group?" You asked him. "They attacked a community. I saw the carnage. Didn't want to be part of it." He replied. AJ begins to groan in pain and Clem looks down at him. "Does it hurt?" He asked AJ. "Hungry." AJ replied in a raspy voice then the stranger pulls out a couple of apples and holds it out to AJ.

"Eat. All three of you." He said. Clem reaches out and grabs the apples. "Thank you." Clem said, appreciatively, and AJ takes one of the apples and eats it while you and Clem share the second one.

"Do you have a name?" Clem asked the stranger after you guys eat. "Been a while." He replied. "Since?" You asked, curiously. "I've said it." He replied then he reaches up and removes the walker skin off of his face, revealing a pretty normal looking guy with dark black hair.

"James." He replied. "Why did you help us, James?" Clem asked him. James stands up and walks a few steps away before he speaks. "The people who attacked you. What do you know about them?" He asked.
"We know they steal kids. They took two last year." Clem replied. "A common practice, for them. They're at war, up north. Their entire community, against another. It's why they take people. To make them fight. Train them, use them. You would join their war." James replied. "That's horrible." You whispered.