Chapter 19: Rescue Attempt

A walker walks along until in front of the ship when an arrow hits it in the head, knocking it down to the ground. Clem crouches and pulls it into the forest as you and the others gather around. "Ugh. I guess we're really doing this." Ruby said in despair. "Only the team blending in with the walkers need to cover themselves." Clem said to her. "Now we just need your walker friend to--" Ruby said until AJ turns around and smiles.

"He's here!" He exclaims and everyone turns to see James. "Good Lord!" Ruby exclaims as James looks around everyone, nervously.
"Uh...hello." he said, awkwardly. "Guys, this is James." You introduced to everyone. "He's my friend." AJ said and everyone looks at James either horrified or nervously.

"He's...uh..." Tenn mutters.

"So. Cool!" Willy exclaims in excitement. Then he walks up to James and said. "How do you get the skin like that?"

"Oh, I, uhm...Clement? (Y/n)?" James said as he looks over at you two, awkwardly. "Can I try it on?" Willy asked James, pointing at the mask.
"That's not a good idea." James said to him. "Willy, stay focused. Now isn't the time for this. We can ask questions later." Clem said to Willy, who frowns at this. "Yeah. Right....sorry. I'm focused." Willy said as he backs away from James.

"Oh, and sorry I tried to shoot you that one time. Your mask looks so real." Willy said to James, who smirks. "Functional and fashionable. I'll take two." Louis said to James. "Funny." James chuckles.

"Is this the guy (y/n) said she'd...?" Tenn started to ask until AJ finished it.

"Flip? Yeah." And he chuckles.

"Probably not anymore, though." Louis said as he winks over at you and Clem, making you two blush. "What do you...?" AJ started to ask but James interrupts him. "Um, (y/n), could I speak to you alone? For a moment?" James asked you. "Good idea." You said then you turn to the others and said. "Hold tight." Then you look over at Clem and kiss his cheek.

You and James walk some few feet away from the others. "The walkers. They'll be here in a little while. You can join them as they pass through the trees. The noise from the boat will draw then toward the water." James said as you guys stopped walking. "Them we can get on board and save our friends." You said as you see a walker hobble in front of you two 

"Your friends are...different. Open-minded. Accepting. Like you. That's not usually how my first impressions go. Sorry, I feel like I'm rambling. It's just....being welcomed. It's strange." James said to you. "You know, they could be your friends, too? I know you didn't want to come into the school before, but now that you've met them..." you said to him. "I haven't lived with people in a long time. But, it does sound....nice. Let me think about it." James said as he removes his walker mask.

"I wanted to show you something." He said as he pulls out something from his pocket. You look down and see that it was a picture in a plastic cover. The picture was of James and another boy. "This is....was...my boyfriend, Charlie. We joined the Whisperers. Together. But it....changed him. In a way that couldn't be undone. It changed both of us." James said then he puts the picture away.

"What do you mean?" You asked him.

"The Whisperers were my....family...from a young age. In that time, I witnessed a lot of death and suffering. Eventually, I became the cause of it. Weakness was considered a poison. And I believed in that. Fiercely. So much so, that when another boy expressed sympathy for our enemy before an attack..." James stops and runs his hand over his face. "I slit his throat." He finished and you look at him horrified.

"I didn't talk to him. Didn't consider who he was. What he felt. Honestly, I don't even remember his name. All I knew was someone like him would only slow us down." James said.
"That's....kind of hard to believe. That doesn't sound anything like you." You said to him. "Not anymore. But it was. And I had no doubt in my mind that I was right. After he died, I kept hearing his words in my head: Those people are like us, just on a different path. I stopped killing after that. I changed. But no one else did. When AJ told me he killed someone, it reminded me of them. Of myself. He said it was wrong....But it sounded like he was just repeating what he'd been told. Taking life like that, from a young age....it breaks something inside you. It broke something in Charlie." James said as you look over your shoulder and see AJ and Clem talking to each other.