Chapter 23: The Night Will Be Over Soon

Eventually, you, Clem, AJ and Tenn make it out of the cave and into the woods and of course the fire on the torch goes out. Clem looks at it then throws the stick down and you guys continue on. "Coast is clear." You said as you walk ahead and look around the woods. "If the shore is that way...." Clem said as he look back towards the cave. "...the school is probably that way." He said as he looks ahead of himself and the four of you continue on.

"Aasim was the third." Tenn said. "Huh?" You and Clem said as you guys stop and turn to him. "The day after AJ killed Marlon. You already know Violet and I voted for you to stay. Aasim was the third vote." Tenn replied. "Wait, that means....Omar voted us out? And...Ruby?" AJ asked, shocked. "Uh, yeah." Tenn replied. "Huh." AJ mutters.

"What made you think of that?" Clem asked him. "Aasim said you guys knew how to survive. He could just tell the school would be safer with you guys there. I voted for you because I liked you, but his reason, it was better. I just....I just thought you guys should know. Aasim was right. We were safer. We were more scared than we let on, when you met us. You guys made that go away." Tenn replied. "That's really nice of you to say, Tenn. Thank you." You said with a smile. "Yeah, thanks." Clem said, nodding.

"That's okay. Now that we're out of danger and going back home, it just made me think of it." Tenn said. "I like Aasim." AJ said, smiling. "If Marlon was still in charge we'd be taken away to wherever. Or dead. Instead, we fought back. Because you two showed us how. We weren't safe with Marlon. Even in his safe zone we were just....hiding." Tenn told you just as you guys heard a tree branch break.

The four of you jump as you and Clem turn around, Clem pulls out his knife and you start to unsheath your sword when Louis walks out behind a tree, holding his arms up. "Louis!" AJ exclaims as he runs over to Louis. Louis gets down on his knee as AJ runs up and gives him a hug. You and Clem smile at this just as you guys walk over to him. Louis stands up and all of you get into a group hug.

"You're not dead. That's good." Louis said as you guys pull out of the hug. "Did everyone else escape?" Clem asked him. "Damn right. They took that cart and hauled ass back to the school." Louis replied. "But you came to look for us." You said. "Thought I lost you guys." He replied. "Only for a minute." Clem said, shrugging with a smirk. Louis chuckles at this for a moment then says. "It's over, guys. The raiders are gone, and we got everyone out alive. Ruby said Violet's eyes aren't infected, so that's good, too. They'll all be waiting for us back home."

"Any idea which way that is?" You asked him. "I haven't been out here in awhile, but I think there's a bridge....that way. It's the fastest way back." He replied as he points towards the direction. "Let's go." Clem said and all of you began to walk and head back home.

As you guys walk into the woods, you reach your hand out to Clem's hand and intertwine your fingers with his. He looks down at you and you smile at him before leaning your head on his shoulder. He smiles as well then he leans down and kisses your forehead and squeezed your hand.

"I killed that woman. Back on the boat." Louis mutters, making you and Clem look over at him. "Was that your first?" Clem asked him. "Yeah...my first. It feels....like bile, but not quite, you know? Or like a scream that doesn't know if it should or not." Louis said.

"Let's get out of this first, okay? There'll be plenty of time to talk about it when we get home." You said to him. "I don't think I'll have to. And I'm done kicking things down the road. Having a home means defending it." Louis replied. "Yeah. Yeah, it does." Clem mutters.

"I really thought we were gonna die on that boat. The dumbest shit always goes through my head when that happens. My old pet turtle, Geoff, my grandma's phone number, the word that lost me the fourth grade spelling bee: recommend. Stupid shit." Louis said, alittle upset. "Anything new this time?" You asked him.