Chapter 17: First Date

"I've never met anyone like James before. I mean, he's tough. Not like you guys, though. He doesn't kill monsters....but he's not scared of them, either. He's cool." AJ said to you and Clem as you three walk inside of the school.

You guys walk around the corner to see Ruby carrying some pillows. "Hey, guys. Willy told me the plan. How'd things go with that...guy?" She asked.
"James. He agreed to help us." Clem said. "If somebody'd told me we were gonna sneak onto a boat in a herd of walkers, I'd have called them crazy." said Ruby as she shakes her head.

"What're you doing with those?" AJ asked, pointing at the pillows. "Oh. Well, I wanted to throw one last hootenanny before the big fight." Ruby replied then AJ looks up at you and Clem. "Swear..?" He asked. "Huh?" Ruby said, confused. "It sounds like a swear." AJ said. "It's not a swear." You chuckled. "It's just another word for party."

"Exactly. I know it sounds strange, throwing a party. But people need something to lift their spirits right about now." Ruby said. "This could be our last chance." Clem said. "I wanted to make some tea for everyone. Could I borrow your little heater thing?" Ruby asked and you nodded. "What can I do?" AJ asked, shaking with excitement. "We need to pretty up the old music room. Could you make us something colorful to hang up?" She said to him. "Okay! I'll be an artist." AJ said as he runs to the bedroom.

Ruby turns to Clem and said. "There's not that much left to do but if you want you can look around and see if you can find anything that would liven up the party. Lotta junk layin' around here." Clem nods and said. "Sure, leave it to me."

Once you guys part ways, Clem starts walking around the school starting with the grounds and slowly working his way inside. On a whim he finds some plastic flowers, yellow daffodils, that he thinks Ruby might like for the party. "These look nice." He said as he brushes away some of the grim covering covering the petals and smiles slightly, remembering how much you loved flowers back when the apocalypse first started.

"Maybe Ruby'll let her keep these to decorate our room with once the party's over." He said to himself as he carefully stows them away and walks up the stairs to the second floor. He checks about three rooms with no luck before stumbling on a fourth room.

It must have belonged to a girl at one point, because he notices an old baby doll on one side of the room along with a few hair accessories and beads littering a broken desk. He's about to walk out again when something shiny glinted, catching his eye and making him squint. He steps back into the room and notices it came from the desk. Upon picking it up and inspecting it, he notices that it's a charm. However, that's not what makes him smile. It's what the charm IS that makes him smile.

It's a silver bird.

It reminded him of the night he confessed to you and your made-up constellations, specifically the bird one. The one that resembled the freedom you all so desperately wished for again. How could that have been just last night!? It feels so long ago.... He thought. Glancing at the sparkly light blue beads strewn across the desk, he assumes the bird must have been part of a bracelet and must have broke at some point in time. He then notices one of the drawers is partially open.

Curious about it's contents, he tries to open it but frowns when he noticed it was jammed. Bracing one hand against the desk and gripping the drawer with the other, he tugs sharply a couple times before finally getting it halfway open. Something gold rolls into view and Clem reaches in, grabbing it before it can roll away. It's a spool of thin gold colored wire.

Standing up again, he observes what he's found:

A bird charm, beads, and a spool of wire. . .

The grin returns to his face as an idea forms in his head.