Chapter 24: Goodbye

"Clem, we can climb there!" AJ shouts as he points at a cliff. "Good idea." Clem said as he hobbles after AJ. "This first." Clem said as they get to the cliff and he tosses the axe up onto the top of the cliff. 

"Clem!" AJ shouts and Clem goes over to him, places his hands under his arm and helps him up in the cliffs. "I got you." Clem said and he gets AJ up to a ledge. AJ grabs the ledge and starts to climb up. "Go, I'm right behind you!" Clem shouts and he starts to climb up after him.

"Grab on!" AJ exclaims once he gets on top, turns then reaches out to Clem. Clem reaches out but a walker grabs Clem's injured leg and bites him. Clem yells as AJ stands up and pulls out the gun. "No!" He shouts and starts to shoot at a few closer walker while Clem kicks the walker, that was biting him, in the head until it falls over. Clem climbs up as AJ bends down and helps him up to the cliff.

Once Clem gets up, he flops face-forward and takes a few deep breathes before he turns over on his back. "Clem....your leg...." AJ says, nervously, and Clem sits up and looks down at his leg, leans forward, peels back his boot and sees teeth marks on his leg. The wind was completely knocked out of him, his heart was beating rapidly as he looks down at the bite. 

He shuts his eyes tightly, fighting back tears, before he sucks in a breath then opens his eyes again and let's out sigh. "I got bit." He mutters. AJ's eyes widen before he looks up at Clem with sadness. Clem looks up at him, sharing the same look of devastation. 

Before they could say anything, they hear more walkers behind them. He and AJ look up to see a few wandering nearby then Clem looks down then to AJ. "C'mon. We can't stay here." He said to AJ. Clem grabs the handle of the axe and used it to help him up to his feet. "Keep moving forward. Keep moving....forward. Keep moving...." Clem chanted, more to himself, as he starts to walk but he trips and falls to his knees.
"Keep....moving...." Clem says as he struggles to get back up but looks down in defeat.
"Forward." AJ finishes. Clem looks at him then nods. "Forward." He mutters then he finally gets up on his feet and the two boys start to walk forward.

Minutes later, as the sun started rising, the boys walk along the woods when Clem looks around to see a few walkers near. Clem looks at AJ, who was walking ahead of him, just as AJ looks back at Clem in sadness then looks away. "Hey. I love you." Clem says to AJ as he stops walking. AJ stops but doesn't look at Clem. "Don't ever forget that." Clem said.

AJ turns around and looks up at Clem. "I love you too, Clem." He said just as they hear more walkers coming. The two boys look at each other before Clem starts walking again. "Keep moving forward." He says as the two keep walking. "Look! James' barn!" AJ said as he points at the familiar building. "It's empty now. We'll be safe in there." AJ said just as a horde starts coming their way.

"Run! Now!" Clem shouts at AJ and he runs ahead while Clem slices and kills at nearby walkers. "Move! Go, AJ! Run!" Clem shouts as AJ looks at him. "I'm right behind you." He said and AJ heads to the barn and opens the door. Clem takes a few steps forward before he falls to his knees again. 

He struggles to get up as a walker comes up to him but AJ shoots the walker. "C'mon, Clem! We can make it!" AJ said as he helps Clem up and the two make their way inside of the barn.

As they get inside, Clem falls forward on the ground while AJ shoots at a few walkers. Clem goes and leans his back against the door to shut it. He pushes all of his weight against the door but it was hard until AJ comes up and helps push the door shut. But Clem knew that this couldn't last long. "We need to find something to stick between the handles." Clem said then he looks over and sees a pitchfork and reaches for it but it was too far.

AJ runs over to it and grabs the pitchfork. "Quick! Bar the door!" Clem orders him and AJ shoves the pitchfork into the handles and Clem crawls over to the axe and uses it to help him up as the two look at the door. "We need to get these pen doors closed....before they break through." Clem said to AJ.