Chapter 14: Broken Toys

The sun was rising as you and Clem get a better look around the courtyard. Willy was leaning over Mitch's dead body, crying and hold his hand, you look behind you to see Ruby was digging up a grave for Mitch. You and Clem go over to Willy as he said. "At the start, I was so little, and...and Mitch looked after me. People said he was a dick sometimes, but he was always nice to me. And now....Now he's gone. Stabbed in the eye by some asshole who never even knew his name." 

You lean down and placed a comforting arm around Willy's shoulder. "Look, I promise you, Willy....the people who did this? We're going to hit them back. They're gonna regret ever coming near us." You said to him as he starts to pull himself together. "If Mitch were here, he wouldn't cry. He'd find a way to get our friends back. Then bash Lilly's brains out with a rock." Willy exclaims, angrily, as Louis comes up to you and Clem.

"Abel's tied up in the basement. He passed out from the pain." Louis informed you two as you stand up. "Thanks." said Clem. "AJ wanted to stay down there and keep an eye on him." Louis said then he kneels down to Willy. "Hey, buddy...it's time for us to bury Mitch, and say our goodbyes." He said as Ruby and Tenn walk up to you guys.

"I'll help you..." Tenn said but Willy quickly stands up and shoves Tenn down. "Get away from him! You're the reason he's dead!" Willy screams as Tenn falls on his back. "Willy!" Ruby shouts. "Well, it's true! We had a plan and that idiot messed it up!" Willy yells. "Hey! Cut that shit out!" You yelled. "Someone's gotta say it! It's what everyone's thinking!" Willy shouts as he glares at Tenn, who stands back up. Tenn looks between you guys then runs off. "Tenn!" Ruby said but he doesn't stop.

"Let me handle this. Talk to Abel, see if you guys can't find out where Lilly took Vi, Omar and Aasim." Louis said to you and Clem as you two face him.
"I wanted to hurt him, you know, to make him talk. But....I just couldn't. Maybe you two will get more out of him than I did." Louis said then he placed his hand on Clem's shoulder and nods at him then walks away to talk to Tenn.

"Ready?" Clem asked you.

"As I'll ever be." You replied, softly, as Clem takes your hand in his. Both of you smiled at each other then head down to the basement.

You two head down the basement where you see Rosie chained up and the sound of AJ rotating the barrel of the gun. You go over to Rosie and pet her on the head then you two go over to the corner and see Abel tied up, AJ sitting in a chair in front of him. 

"Got your gun back, huh?" Clem asked him. "Uh huh." AJ mutters and Clem walks over to a bucket full of cold water, grabs it and throws it at Abel.
"What the fuck?" Abel coughs and he looks up to see you three standing in front of him. "Well, that ain't no way to wake an old man from his afternoon nap. I was having a nice dream, too, about a girl I used to know, from before. She also had me tied up, but I wasn't her prisoner, if you get my meaning." He chuckles and coughs. You scoffed at this as Abel said. "Got any water? Other than what you already dumped on me, I mean."

AJ pulls out a canister and holds it out to him. "Drink." He said. "You got good manners, squirt. Don't mind if I do." Abel said as AJ starts to pour the water. "He gets nothing." Clem said to AJ, firmly. "If we give him water, maybe he'll atone." AJ said. "Nothing until after he's told us what we need to know." You told AJ.

"You two aren't fooling anyone with the hard act. I can tell you two've never done this before." Abel said and you could hear Rosie growling in the back. "Don't make this harder than it needs to be, okay? We just wanna know where Lilly took our people." Clem said. "It doesn't matter. Soon as she gets there, she's gonna turn around and come right back for me. You better give me the five star treatment. If I'm smiling when she gets here, you might be able to trade me for a little mercy. We underestimated you little shits, but Lilly won't make the same mistake twice." Abel said and you go over to Rosie and kneel down to her as you hear her growl.

"You aren't gonna do that. You don't have it in you." Abel said and you smile and unhook Rosie from her chain. She takes off towards Abel and latches her teeth on his leg, making him scream in pain. "Call it off! Call it off, you fucking psycho!" He screams and you whistle and she unlatched her teeth from his leg.

"Just tell us where they took our friends so we can get them back!" AJ said as Rosie walks away. "Lilly will never give 'em up. Only reason we came here was for more manpower. Losing Yonatan and me, for three sprouts who can barely hold a gun...Even a dummy like me can do the math on that one." Abel replied. "We're gonna get 'em back." Clem said to him. 

"You don't know what it's like out there. It's a blood bath, one community against another, from Richmond to the coast. Back at the Delta, we're at war, with some really sick fucks who make me look like the Virgin Mary. We need people to fight it. Soldiers who do what we say. Point the guns the way we tell them to. You little turds were supposed to be easy pickings." Abel informed. "That's called kidnapping." You said. "Give it whatever name you want. I call it survival." Abel replied.

"What kind of place is this Delta if they use forced labor to defend it?" Clem asked him. "You think we like doing raids like this? Our home is under threat. It's a good home, built to last. I'd do alot to protect it. Maybe you two can understand that." Abel said as he looks at you and Clem, intently. "And we'd do a lot to get our friends back. So stop wasting our time." Clem yelled, angrily.

"Okay. Front pocket. The answer to all your questions." Abel said and Clem digs into his pocket and found a Bible cigarette. "Read it." said Abel. "Whatsoever parteth the hoof, and is clovenfooted, and cheweth the cud, among the beasts, that shall ye eat." Clem reads then looks up at Abel in confusion. "What the fuck? Is this code?" He asked him. "No, it's fucking Leviticus. I was hoping it'd be some timely moralistic shit about turning the other cheek. Well, c'mon. That thing isn't gonna light itself." Abel said. "Wanna know where your friends are? A smoke'll clear my mind."

Clem pulls out his lighter and lights the cigarette, as he glares at the old man, then brings up the cigarette and burns it on Abel's face. Abel screams in pain as you and AJ watch in shock while Clem punches him in the gut as he tosses the cigarette away. "You little bastard!" Abel screamed.

"I'm out of patience, Abel. Tell me where Lilly went. NOW!" Clem yells when Abel starts to cough uncontrollably then pukes up some blood. "That's a lot of blood." AJ pointed out. "Shit. Oh, fuck....this is...not good..." Abel wheezed. 

"He's gonna die, isn't he?" AJ asked you two. "I hope so." You said. "Me too. And I hope he suffers every moment 'til he does." Clem said as he placed his hands on his hips. "You're gonna get your wish. When you pushed me off that balcony, something must've burst inside of me. Shit...I never wanted things to end like this. Everything...it all got out of hand. Now look at me. I'm a fucking mess." Abel said.

"Will he turn?" AJ asked.

"No!" Abel wheezed in fear. "My...My whole life, everything I ever got, I got with my own two hands and...and my will. For my body to turn on me...to take control...I'll tell you where to find Lilly. Just promise you won't ley me turn." He begs. "If you're honest with me, I'll put you out of your misery. You have my word." Clem promised.

"Okay...we have a boat. We're docked few miles west of here, at an old fishing pier. Your friends are on the boat. You got what you wanted. Please, don't let me become one of those things." Abel said and Clem looks over at AJ, who pulls his gun and starts to hand it to Clem. "Not that. I wanna....let me keep my face." Abel said and AJ puts up the gun as Clem pulls out his knife.

You turn to AJ, kneel down in front of him and placed your hands on his shoulders. "You don't need to watch this." You said to him as Clem walks up to Abel. "I want to." AJ said and you nod, stand up and step aside as Clem stabs the knife into Abel's head, killing him.

"At least he can't hurt anyone any more." AJ said as Clem pulls out the knife. "Yeah." You and Clem said in unison. "C'mon. We have a boat to find." You said as you and him start to walk out but AJ stands there for a moment as he stares at Abel's body.