Chapter 5: Helping Out

The next morning, you and the boys were walking up the stairs to the main building, heading to Marlon's office. "He's gonna let us stay right?" AJ asked you and Clem. "I guess we're gonna find out. Let's find his office." Clem replied. "I know where it is. I'll show you." AJ said and he runs up the second set of stairs as you and Clem follow him.

"Up here! C'mon! This way!" AJ said, excitedly, and he runs straight ahead. "Hey! AJ---wait up!" You said as you two make it up the stairs and walk ahead towards the slightly ajar door to a large office.

"Tenn's here." AJ said and he sits down as Clem opens the door and you see Tenn playing with some toys. Tenn looks up at you two and said.
"Hey Clem! Hey (y/n)! Thanks for the pencils. I missed having colors."
You and Clem walk into the room and kneel down next to AJ as you said. "Sure thing." AJ picks up one of Tenn's toys and asked. "Who are these guys?"

"They're firefighters." Tenn replied and AJ picks up another toy figure. "That one's a policeman. She's gonna save the day." Tenn said as he moves his toy truck around. "But what are they?" AJ asked. "They...these were the people who protected us." Tenn replied.

AJ looks at the toy confused then looks up at you and Clem. "Where are they?" He asked. "They're still out there. Some day maybe you'll meet one." Clem said to him. "That would be cool." AJ said. "Super cool." Tenn agreed. "Now give it to me and...." Tenn starts to reach out for the toy but AJ pulls back.

"No. He's mine now." He said. "Hey, give it back..." Tenn said as he tries to grab the toy. "No." AJ said as you stand up. "You don't even know what they are!" Tenn spat as you grab the toy policeman out of AJ's hand. "Okay, okay. That's enough, you two." You said as AJ stands up and glares down at Tenn.

"It's not yours anymore." He growls but you hand the toy back to Tenn. "It's mine." AJ yells at you. "No. It's not." Clem said in a low commanding voice, which you've called his Papa Bear voice, as he gives AJ a stern look. AJ looks at him then pouts as he folds his arms across his chest. "Ugh, fine." He grumbles. Tenn looks up at you and smiles. "Thanks." He said and you nod at him.

"Do you know where Marlon is?" Clem asked Tenn as he gets up on his feet. "I don't know. He should be around. I can go find him." Tenn replied as he stands up. "That'd be nice. Thanks, Tenn." You said and Tenn walks out of the room.

AJ looks around the room until something catches his eye. "Look!" He said as he runs across the room. "Hey, what did you find?" You asked him as AJ picks up a framed picture. "It's a picture. Of Marlon and Louis. They're so little." He said as you and Clem walk up and see the picture of a really young Louis and Marlon.

"Wow. They've know each other a long time, huh." Clem said. "Like you and (y/n)!" AJ said, smiling. "Yeah...like me and Clem." You said as you and Clem look at each other, a smile spreading across your faces.

Suddenly, the door opens slightly and you three look right at the door. "Marlon?" Clem asked until the door opens completely and in walks Rosie. You gasp in fright when Rosie sees you three then she starts to growl. Clem pushes you behind him and said to Rosie. "Stay back..." but Rosie begins to bark, aggressively, at you three.

"Whoa, what the hell's going--" Marlon started to say as he runs inside the room. He sees the scene before him and goes over to Rosie. "Hey, hey. It's okay girl. Shh." He said to her, calmly, as he scratched her head and pets her. She calms down and snuggles up to Marlon, who looks over at you as Clem straightens up but doesn't leave your side.

"You said dogs brought back bad memories. I'm sorry. I didn't realize you were so scared of them." He said as you stare at Rosie in fright. "But I swear, Rosie's not as frightening as she seems." Marlon said then he turns to Rosie and whistles at her. "Sit girl." He commands and Rosie sits.