Chapter 2: New Family

I arrive at the main kitchen building. Then I see many maids are busy preparing for meals.

"Ah, Shion-sama. Good morning!"

They notice me and greet me with a delightful voice.

Ahh... maids are wonderful.

Unlike the men of this house, my mother and the maids treat me gently despite my defective trait. Looking at the maids reminds me of my female colleagues, so I just can't help but wanting to support them as well.

I don't mean to brag but I'm pretty popular with my family's maids.

Using knowledge from my previous world, I helped the maids with various things.

For example, I used empty 2 litre oil cans in warehouse to create watering cans 2 years ago. Apparently, the maids of this house use their magic to bring water and sprinkle it to the plants on the garden. Magic is used as parts of daily life in this world so the maids will have other jobs that require magic other than watering the plants.

So I made a simple watering can so that they won't have to use their mana just for watering the plants. They said that using magic is usually more exhausting than manual labour, not that I can feel it with my condition. In any case, they were extremely grateful about it even though I just gave them the simple watering cans made out of leftover oil cans.

Another example would be the bath. A bath using hot water is considered a luxury here. Therefore, only nobles and people with rank above manage to afford the price. Unfortunately, the maids in the house are not given the same privilege. They have to bear bathing with the cold water that was taken from well.

Heating the water using magic is an easy task for most people. However, it is not practical to heat the water using magic and take a bath at the same time. People will just get more tired after the bath.

Normally, a noble bathroom has a mana-powered heating device to continuously heat the water while the nobles are taking a bath. My family is not an exception.

I would like to just give them the permission to bathe with the same bathroom as mine but it's hard for the maid to accept my offer because of our difference in status.

In the end, I had an idea of creating a hot bath using unused metal barrels in the warehouse last year. Our family often get gifts from other noble family, and some of them are raw meats that was preserved inside those metal barrels. Apparently it's normal to preserve food inside metal barrel in this world with the help of magic. After taking the food, we usually either throw those barrels away or store it in warehouse depending on the condition of the barrel.

I wanted to take the metal barrel from the warehouse and put it on top of 4 bricks that support them.

Putting the metal barrel on the bricks was the real struggle. I had to climb an unused wooden chair besides the metal barrel, just so I can push it and let it fall to the ground. I was lucky enough to find the chair, it was put in the warehouse because Korsch said that the chair was shaky and defected. Though I know that he just refused to admit that his own weight is mainly the reason.

The fall of the metal barrel makes a sound but it should be fine because the storage room is far from the main house. I already memorise the maids' patrol house so I chose the timing when the maid who is responsible to patrol this area is rotating her job to another maid.

I rolled the metal barrel to outside of storage house... only to see a maid with short brown hair looking at me with a confused expression. I quickly explained my intention to her, and she agreed on helping under the condition that she is the one who would take care of the labour task.