Chapter 3: Lingering Resolve

The dinner in Graize family usually consists of Millson, Korsch, and me eating in the dining room.

Mother usually eats her dinner in her room while Father usually eats dinner in his office due to his never-ending work.

Tonight is not an exception. Only three of us are eating on a big rectangular table meant for 12 people.

Our dinner tonight is a variety of meat dishes which is Korsch's favourite. As usual, Korsch eats over 10 portions while Millson, and I only eat 1 portion each.

While I am about to finish my meal, Millson start talking.

"Come to think of it. Korsch, have you finished packing your luggage?"

"Hm? Oaf couss."

He talked with his mouth full. Geez, if I ask him to not talk while eating, he will get angry so I shall keep quiet.

"Your vacation is about to end. Do your best at school ok?"

Korsch swallows the meal and replies with confidence.

"No need to worry. School lessons are easy for me!"

That's because you get a private tutor here and in capital city. I really wonder where he got all that confidence from...

School in this world is a system for kids from noble family from the age of 10 to 16 to be educated with magic and common knowledge.

Though most of them put an emphasis on magic because it is the most essential necessary skill needed to live in this world. Be it career prospects or something as basic as daily living necessities, magic is an irremovable part of almost everything in this world.

Korsch is 12 years old, so this is his 3rd year of education.

I am still 8 years old so I need to wait for 2 years to enroll in academy within capital city. But I can already foresee the kinds of troubles I would get for being unable to use magic.

... school... I don't want to go...

"I need to leave Shion again huh... it will be quite lonely. Don't you think so, Korsch?"

"Haaa? Who will miss this defect? In fact, I'm thankful that I don't have to see this useless little sister's face for some time."

Korsch's thoughts and mine are similar in that regard huh. Though I won't say it out loud.

"Geez. Korsch... But I will still be lonely. Don't worry Shion, I shall finish the mission quickly and return back to your side."

"I'm looking forward to it, Millson onii-sama."

And thus, the dinner ends without any incident.

As I think that, I look at outside from the window of dining room. Tonight is full moon.

As planned, I will sneak out toni-

"Shion-sama."

Interrupting my thought, Kaina suddenly calls my name.

"Madam is calling for you."

"Mother? That's unusual. Shouldn't she be sleeping by now? Did something happen?"

"She said that she wanted to talk to you after dinner. That's all."

"Understood. I'll be there immediately."

There is still time before my plan anyway.

On my way to mother's room, I notice the guards that were standing at the house's main gate.

I see new faces. Are they new recruits? Well, I don't usually care much about males in this house so maybe I just don't know about them until now.

I'll just leave them be and quickly go to my mother's room.