Part 15

Suddenly it was Benedict's last day of school. My last time having a class with him. My last time seeing him, the love of my life.

I couldn't concentrate the entire class period because I found myself just wanting to kiss him and tell him how much I was going to miss him. But I couldn't do that because we weren't together anymore. He had broken up with me.

"Ms. Parker," he called to me when the bell rang. "Ms. Parker, may I speak with you for a moment?"

I picked up my books and headed straight for the door, trying to ignore him, but his arm stopped me before I could leave. "Please."

"What else could you possibly have to say to me? Haven't you said enough already?" I rolled my eyes and stepped back a few feet.

"Amelia," he said, closing the classroom door. "I just want to tell you that I'm not going to act like there wasn't anything between us. I love you, and I always will. I'm sorry that–"

"Stop. I don't want to hear it. You ended things between us, and I don't think it's fair for you to tell me this right before you leave. I'm sick of you toying with my emotions." I shook my head and turned away from him. "You made the decision to leave."

Benedict frowned and put a hand on my back, rubbing it gently. "I'm sorry."

"Please don't touch me," I whispered, trying to hold back the tears that were forming in my eyes. I shrugged his hand away and headed toward the door. "Have a nice life, Benedict."

"Amelia," he called, but I was already out of the room and headed down the hallway. Fuck my next class. I was going home. I needed a good cry, and I didn't want to run into him again.

——————————

Five Months Later

"I can't believe you're finally here. You're actually starting university," my mum sighed softly. "It seems like you started primary school only yesterday."

"Mum, you don't have to get all sentimental on me..." I groaned, placing a suitcase on my bed.

"Yes I do. This is a big accomplishment! Or rather, a big beginning for you!"

She chuckled and came over to hug me. "Was that the last bag?"

"Yeah... I can probably unpack on my own. It'll give me something to do tonight."

Mum then squeezed me and started crying a bit, which was extremely awkward. "Oh honey, why'd you have to decide to go to a school that was so far away?"

"Mum... We've talked about this..." I patted her back and sighed softly. "There was too much that happened in that place for me to stay there. I needed a fresh start."

"I know, but I'm going to miss you. And so will Zoe," she sobbed. "And your father... Oh I know he would be so proud of you right now."

I squeezed my eyes closed and hugged her tight. "I know, Mum. I know. All of it. I love you so much, and I promise to call. And I'm only a few hours away. You can always come visit me when you get the chance."

She nodded and replied, "I will, darling. Please be safe. Remember what we talked about. And make some friends. Study hard. Be yourself. You know, all that good stuff. You're going to love it here."

She held me for a minute more before letting go. "I should probably get going. I don't want Zoe to be home alone from school too long before I'm back. It's definitely an emotional day for her."

"Okay, Mum. Thank you for helping me move in." I hugged her one more time before walking with her out to the car. "I love you."

She smiled as she got into the car, "I love you too. See you soon darling."

I watched as she drove away, and I went back into my room to start unpacking. Class started in three days, and I had absolutely no idea what was in store for me.

END OF CHAPTER