Part 16

The next morning, I woke up early to finish organizing my things. When I finished, I decided to treat myself to a nice breakfast somewhere, I don't know where. As I stood in the corridor trying to lock my door, the girl in the room across from mine came out as well.

"Oh hello! Lovely morning, innit?" She asked, smiling at me as she locked her door and came over. "I'm Janessa, and you are?"

"Yes, it's lovely. I'm Amelia by the way. Nice to meet you." We shook hands and started walking in the same direction. "I'm just going to get breakfast if you'd care to join."

"Could I? I forgot to eat yesterday because it was crazy moving in, and I'm starving now." We both laughed and walked to a nearby cafe, getting a table right by a window on the inside.

We got to talking about ourselves and our interests after we ordered our food, and I couldn't help but smile the whole time. It was honestly one of the first times I'd been this happy and relaxed in a long time.

"Can I just say now that I'm really looking forward to university? This campus is beautiful, and it's just so nice to feel like I'm getting a fresh start."

Janessa smiled and nodded in agreement. "I feel the same way. I don't know anyone here, which is scary, but wonderful. And I feel like I've already made a friend," she giggled while patting my arm lightly.

"If I'm going to be honest, I haven't had a friend in a long time," I said softly.

"You're joking. You? Really? But you're so nice and..." She frowned. "Did something happen?"

I started to tear up a bit as I nodded my head. "My dad died in an accident last year, and things went downhill from there. I thought things were getting better when I started seeing this guy, but let's just say it didn't work out for us."

"Oh darling, I'm so sorry." She rubbed my arm gently, trying to comfort me as I wiped my tears away with my napkin. "He's worthless. They all are. Men, I mean."

I chuckled softly, nodding. "You're right about that. I'm sorry, I shouldn't have–"

"Hey. We all have emotional baggage. You just have to let it out sometimes." She smiled warmly and handed me her napkin. "Here you go."

"Thanks." I wiped my eyes and calmed myself down just before our food came out. "I think I'm going to start focusing on myself for once. I'm going to make myself happy and not let any man rule my life."

Janessa nodded enthusiastically. "Yes, girl! That is exactly what you should do! Take charge of your own life!"

We high-fived each other and started laughing uncontrollably as we ate our food and messed around.

I was so happy, and I had no idea what would happen when class started in two days.

END OF CHAPTER