Part 28

Wednesday morning.

I heard a car door close outside my window and immediately ran down the stairs to meet Benedict outside. When he saw me his eyes lit up and he immediately brought me in for a hug and a kiss.

"I've missed you so much," he said whilst placing his hand on my stomach. "How are you? The both of you?"

I blushed at his touch and placed my hand over his. "We're both doing well. I'm a bit anxious right now though..."

He frowned and looked toward the house. "Are you sure you want to do this? It's not too late to change your mind."

"No, I want to do it. I have to, Benedict."

He nodded and took my hand, squeezing it. "I'll bring your bags down for you. Then we can finalize everything before your mum gets home, okay?"

"Okay," I whispered as I rested my head against his shoulder. We walked inside together, and I went to start making lunch for us while Benedict moved my luggage from my room into his car.

He finished about the same time as me, so we sat down to eat together.

"So when your mum gets back, basically you're just going to come right out and say that I'm Ben and that we're together?" Benedict asked between bites.

I nodded and replied, "Yeah, pretty much. And then when she starts yelling at you and saying nasty things, I'll tell her that I don't care. Then I'll mention that I'm pregnant and I'm leaving whether she likes it or not."

Benedict sighed and closed his eyes. "Amelia..."

"What? I've thought a lot about this, okay? I don't know what else I can do. I just have to tell her and let her know that I've made up my mind. I don't want her trying to persuade me to stay and get rid of it."

"I know, I just..." He pushed his plate away, having finished his food. "What about Zoe? Are you going to say all this with her standing there?"

I looked away uncomfortably, tears forming in my eyes. "No, I'm going to ask her to go up to her room. I don't want her seeing this. Jesus, Benedict..."

I started crying and he immediately stood up, coming over to collect me in his arms. "Please don't cry. I know this is going to be hard, but trust me, if we can get through this, we'll get through everything else."

I looked him straight in his beautiful eyes and saw that he was completely serious. "I trust you, Benedict."

"Good. Now let's wash these dishes." He pulled me up and we went over to the sink to wash everything. He messed around by blowing some bubbles at me, causing me to have a laughing fit.

But just as we finished, I heard the front door open. A look of horror came across my face as I heard my mum call, "Amelia, whose car is parked out front?"

I looked at Benedict once more and he nodded, letting go of me.

"I'm in the kitchen, mum," I replied after taking a few deep breaths.

"Amelia, do you know whose—" Mum stopped when she saw the two of us standing there. "Benedict? What are you doing here?"

"Mum, we need to talk," I said sternly. "Make Zoe go to her room please."

"I don't understand. Why is he here?" She asked again.

"Just make her go to her room. Please," I said a bit more urgently.

"Zoe, be a dear and go tidy up your room please. I want it spotless," Mum turned around and said to Zoe, who was still taking her shoes off near the door. When Zoe had gone upstairs, mum turned back around and looked at me. "I'm not going to ask you again. Why is he here?"

"I don't know how else to put this but Benedict is Ben, mum. He's my boyfriend."

"Excuse me?" Mum looked from me to him and back to me. "You're taking a piss, aren't you? You're not telling me that you're actually dating your old professor?"

Benedict reached out for my hand with one hand and scratched the back of his head nervously with his other. "She's not lying, Mrs. Parker. We're seeing each other."

"We've been seeing each other for quite some time, actually," I added.

"I can't fucking believe this..." Mum shook her head, her breathing becoming eratic. "I invite you into my home and now you're seeing my daughter? Are you shagging her too? You fucking pervert!"

"Don't call him that! Mum, listen to me..." I pleaded.

She started yelling and coming closer to us. Benedict cautiously took a step back, not saying anything. "No, I don't know what he's put in your head, but this needs to end now. This is wrong. It's bloody disgusting, the two of you."

"He hasn't put anything in my head, mum! I wanted this!" I yelled back.

"You made her think she wanted this," she pointed accusingly at Benedict. "I should report you to the authorities, you sick man. That is my daughter!"

"I understand that you're upset, but—" Benedict was cut off when my mum jumped at him. His eyes went wide as she slapped him across the face.

"Don't hit him!" I screamed, grabbing her and trying to pull her away from him.

She slapped him a few more times and scratched at him before suddenly collapsing to the floor in defeat. She then started sobbing.

Benedict just stood there in shock, reaching up to touch his red, stinging cheek. When he brought his fingers away, there was a bit of blood on them. Frowning deeply, I grabbed him a tissue. "I'm so sorry. I'll clean that up for you later. I promise."

"It's okay, Amelia. It's not your fault." He pursed his lips and I could tell he was angry. "I think you should tell her and then we should get out of here."

I nodded and turned back to my mum, who was still on the floor. "I hope you somehow feel accomplished with what you just did, mum. And I just want you to know that you won't be seeing me for a long time. You won't be seeing me or your grandchild when they arrive."

At that, my mum looked up at me. Sniffling, she asked, "Grandchild? You're pregnant?"

"I am. And I don't care what you have to say about it. I've decided that I'm keeping the baby. Benedict and I are going to raise it together, away from here."

She looked at Benedict, who was just standing there with his bloody tissue, watching. His eyes were sad, like he didn't want for any of this to be happening. Then she looked bad at me with my hand on my swollen stomach. "You both disgust me. And not only am I disappointed in you Amelia, but your father would be too."

"Right then..." I stood up and went back over to Benedict. "Let's go."

He took my hand and squeezed it as we headed for the door. "Goodbye mum," I said before going outside and getting in his car.

As soon as we were on the road, I started bawling. Benedict just reached over and put his hand on my thigh, then said some reassuring words.

It was going to be a rough car ride.

END OF CHAPTER