Prologue: Jia Huian

Jia Huian is the fu'jin¹ of General Hai Bojing. Her surname 'Jia' means good, fine and/or auspicious. She has indeed lived such a life up to the day that she marries him.

In a material retrospect, she is still living a rather good life as the General's wife while enjoying fine thing in life in such an auspicious way. After all, she is still the eldest and only daughter of Prime Minister Jia Peizhi.

But, the decreed marriage is not a happy one because both significant men are always at odds with each other. His Majesty, the Emperor, being calculating in nature decreed the unexpected marriage between the two of the prominent families in the Kingdom of Qiangda. From the very beginning, both families are standing against two different paths while serving the ruler of their kingdom.

The Jia has always been focusing on a scholarly pursuit while the Hai has always been tirelessly focusing on the military pursuit. The imperial family, the Rong, has always been supported by both families to ensure the stability of the Kingdom.

The current Emperor, Rong Xiaoli, is indeed an intelligent man. Knowing that both of his Prime Minister and General are against odds with each other, he decided that the oldest daughter of the Prime Minister be married to the still unmarried General. Why? He wanted both men to be kept on their toes at all times. Or, so he (brilliantly) thought. Despite both men are against the imperial decree, they both knew that His Majesty's words are not to being defied by anyone including them.

She has just celebrated her sixteen birthday when the imperial edict arrived and announced in the Prime Minister's residence. Her older brother looked at her with a pitiful expression then. Her legal mother who always treated her coldly suddenly held onto one of her hand and gently squeezed as if to reassure her that she will be alright. Her mother is trying her best not to cry while carrying her younger brother in her arms. Her father, on the other hand, calmly conveyed his thanks to the eunuch and his subordinates as he took the imperial scroll into his hands.

When the eunuch has left with his subordinates, her father says without turning his back, "Huian... I have wronged you. You will be married to that man. He is never on the same page as your helpless father. Even as the Prime Minister, I cannot stop this..."

True to her given name which means obliging and quiet. She just stood there in silence. She has always been a well-mannered and gentle in nature young lady. With that imperial decree, she has to accept regardless of what she thought.

Her older brother, Jia Ying, then says, "Father, no one can go against the imperial decree. Not even General Hai himself. We can only hope that he will treat Huian kindly and lovingly despite the relationship between both families."

The di'fujin² of the Jia family, Qiao Mingxia, then says, "Husband, we are helpless indeed. But, with your status and our family prominent standing, General Hai will not dare to treat Huian unfairly."

Jia Huian's mother, Ye Luli, wipes off her tears before she softly says, "Huian, mother can only wish you to have a happy marriage. Do not forget that our family will be there for you whenever you needed us."

Jia Huian nodded her head without saying a word. She did not say anything and let both of her mothers handled everything regarding her decreed marriage. She only sewed and embroidered the wedding outfit for her to use on her wedding day.

During her wedding day, that was the only day she has opened her mouth to speak to her family members as she bows down before them in her intricately embroidered red wedding garment.

"Father, this daughter is grateful for your loving care and she will not fails you as a Jia. Mother, this daughter is thankful for your kind care to her concubine mother and younger brother. Please continue to look after them when I am no longer here. Second mother, when I am gone, please take good care of yourself and younger brother. The weather is getting colder, wear a thicker outfit to warm your body. Older brother, please take care of father, mother, second mother and younger brother for me. As a Jia, I will live a good life representing the good values of our family. Please do not worry about me."