Chapter 20: Hai Chunhua

Back at Hai Residence, Chunhua suddenly drops a tray of teapot, teacups and a plate of osmanthus jelly on the floor. She seems to be out of the zone all of a sudden. Chuntao is staring at her as both Dongmei and Jinghua clean the broken porcelains and the ruined dessert on the floor.

Old madam Li Lanying who is there to visit her daughter-in-law has been shocked by the sound of the broken porcelains and seems somewhat angry as she is afraid that the incident will cause Jia Huian to be shocked as well.

"This maid..."

Jia Huian gently touches on her mother-in-law's hand before she says, "Mother, it's fine. I'm fine. It is just a small matter. Chunhua, are you alright?"

"Young madam, Chunhua feels a sudden chill... I'm not sure why but I don't feel so good..."

Old madam Li Lanying then says, "Nonsense! What are you talking about?"

"Mother... That maid may be right after all..."

Jia Huian looks at her husband who has just come back from the imperial palace as she smiles sweetly.

Old madam Li Lanying stares at her son as she smiles, "Bojing, there you are. This maid is just talking nonsense. What is there to feel bad about? Your wife is expecting, it is unbecoming of her to speak such nonsense."

General Hai Bojing smiles and sits next to his wife as he looks at his mother.

"She not wrong, mother. A big bad wolf is targeting her after all."

Both old madam Li and Jia Huian look at him with a weird expression on each of their faces. Chunhua is looking paler by the seconds after hearing what he has just said.

"Bojing, what are you talking about?" Old madam Li Lanying asked.

General Hai Bojing smiles and looks at his wife, "Huian, father-in-law said that your family will come for a visit tomorrow."

Jia Huian smiles and nods her head before she asks, "Husband, why did you say that a big bad wolf is targetting Chunhua? Look at her... She is trembling because of your words."

Old madam Li Lanying supports her daughter-in-law by saying, "True. That poor maid is indeed terrified. Bojing, what's going on?"

"Mother... Huian... His Majesty has wanted Chunhua to marry the Fourth Prince. Father-in-law knew about this matter as well."

Chuntao who has just comes in with a tray of freshly brewed tea in three blue porcelain lidded teacups and two plates of osmanthus jelly. She gives one of the teacups to General Hai Bojing as instructed earlier by him.

He takes the teacup, opens the lid and blows the hot tea. After a few seconds, he passes the teacup to Jia Huian for her to drink. Old madam Li Lanying smiles as she watches the pair interaction. The three maidservants are smiling from the side too except for Chunhua.

Jia Huian sips on her tea and asks, "Is His Majesty serious? After all, Chunhua is a maid of mine. Is it possible for a maid to marry a member of an imperial family?"

"It seems like Her Majesty, the Empress Dowager is not against this. After all, His Royal Highness is quite pampered by her."

Old madam Li Lanying then says, "If Her Majesty is not against it, then there is nothing to be worried about. But, look at her... She is still looking like a scared lamb."

Everyone turns their heads to look at the rather terrified looking Chunhua who has stood in silence for quite some time now.

Jia Huian smiles and softly says, "Chunhua... It indeed a blessing for you. It is not like you did not like His Royal Highness. Marrying him will ensure you will live a privileged life."

Chunhua then kneels on the floor as she looks at Jia Huian before she says, "Young madam, Chunhua is just a maid. I am not worthy to marry the Fourth Prince..."

Jia Huian then looks at her husband before she looks back at Chunhua, "This can easily be done. I will ask my father to assist you with this. You can be fostered by us."

"Or, our family can do just that. Mother, you always said that you wish to have a daughter of your own. Look at her... She can by my adopted sister."

Old madam Li Lanying looks at Chunhua and assessing her. She has seen this particular maid for several times now and noticed that she is quite pleasant in her manner as well. Due to the fact that she has become a widow quite early, she only has a son. A son who is never acted cute even during childhood.

Always serious... Always responsible. A bit boring. Just like her late husband. But, this son of hers is being all warm whenever his wife is around. Another trait of her late husband yet again.

"Of course I wanted to have a daughter of my own... But, what about the elders of our clan? Will they allow it to happen?"

General Hai Bojing smiles and says, "Mother, I've already discussed the matter with the elders and they have no objection whatsoever after hearing that she will soon to be married to the Fourth Prince as his princess consort."

Old madam Li Lanying suddenly stands up and immediately went to Chunhua's side.

"Chunhua stands up. There is no need for you to kneel on the floor..."

Jia Huian smiles and says, "Chunhua, from this day onwards you will be adopted into the Hai family. We will only let the marriage to happen after I have given birth. That will be enough time for us to train and teach her about imperial rules and customs. Mother, what do you think?"

"I agree. Chunhua needs to learn all of that so no one will find any reason to undermine her in the future."

General Hai Bojing then says, "So. It is settled then. The adoption ceremony will be held tomorrow with your family members and the elders being in attendance. Chunhua, do want to keep your name? Or, do you want a new name?"

Chunhua still looks a bit overwhelmed by everything happening at that very moment. She then looks up and says, "Young madam... General... Old madam. Chunhua is grateful for your kindness, if His Royal Highness really wanted to marry me, I will accept with all my heart as it will be beneficial for both families."

She kneels once more and kowtow before all three of them and says, "Chunhua wishes to continue as Chunhua as that is the name given to her by the First Madam Qiao."

Jia Huian smiles and gently holds onto Chunhua's hand, "Stand up, Chunhua. Remember that Jia will always be by your side and now, the Hai too. Chuntao, Dongmei, and Jinghua will always be your good sisters. Tomorrow, you will officially be named as 'Hai Chunhua'. Be happy... That is my only wish to you."

"