38

— KENTRELL GAULDEN

"we gone set some ground rules," i wiped my face as i sat on kendell's bed

"we gone set some ground rules," i wiped my face as i sat on kendell's bed. "and i ain't really asking fa' much but if you gone stay wit' me we gone get a few thangs straight?"

"aight," he sat next to me on the bed. "wassup?"

"well fa one, you taking yo ass to school. you gone get you a job after school fasho and when you get home just pick up after yaself,"

"a job? but you got all this money. can't i just work for you?" he wiped his hands against his pants and looked up at me.

"you gotta learn how to work, i'm not giving no handouts. everybody in this house gone be working. i'll get you a car so you can get around but that's it." i watched india stand by the door stirring up her tea. "you got yo' drivers license?"

"yeah," he nodded.

"good," i looked over at india. "you got anything you wanna add?"

"to what?" she pursed her lips together.

"going over the house rules. got anything?"

"umm, just make yourself comfortable. this is your house now and i'm welcoming you with opening arms. if you ever need anything i'm always home," she smiled. "and don't bring no girls over here,"

"girls are fine," i whispered to him. "just don't let her see them come in, she gone question em like a muhfucka,"

"what'd you say kentrell?" she raised her eyebrows.

"nothing baby," i flashed a smile at her.

"yeah, okay. but i just came in here to tell y'all the rotel was done,"

"okay, we'll be out there," i nodded. "you hungry?"

"hell yeah," kendell rubbed his stomach.

"shit, let's go eat then," i got up from the bed.

we walked into the kitchen, i fixed my plate up with doritos and the steak and shrimp dip. i poured me up a glass of sprite and went to sit down by india.

"damn," she looked down at my plate. "you feeding for two?"

"no, i'm just hungry as hell," i nudged her shoulder. "you need to open a damn restaurant cause yo' cooking is on point,"

"it's rotel dip kentrell. it's not rocket science anybody can cook this," she rolled her eyes.

"well, this would be my favorite thing on the menu," i dipped took a bite from my plate.