Closer

Lainey's POV

"Are you my biological father?" I ask. I watch my dad's expression change. First to shock to confusion then back to shock. He sits up and stares at me for a while. He sighs and runs his hands through his brown hair. "Why would you ask a question like that?"

I stiffen. I can't tell him about the pictures I found in the box. It'll crush him. I mean who would want to hear about their passed spouse's ex? No one.

"Well, because I don't have any pictures of you with me when I was a baby," I lie. It was half a lie actually. I did want to know why I don't have any pictures with him. Though, that wasn't the reason why I asked the question.

His lips turn into a frown and his eyes sadden. "It's not that I didn't want to take any pictures Lainey. I had to go away for a while to help with the grand opening of the zoo in South Carolina. I barely got there when I received a call from the hospital that..." his voice cracks. I know it still pains him to say mother's name but he's getting there. I know it. "was going into labor. It was a two day drive back and when I came back, you guys were already home."

I nod my head. Mother was telling the truth. I don't know why I started to doubt it but that picture... if father was truly my biological father then who was that man?

"Father? Did anyone ho visit mother at the hospital?" I ask him.

He rests his chin in his hand and is lost in deep thinking. After a while, he speaks up. "The only persons I can remember is your aunt Lisa, her dad, and my parents."

"Are you sure nobody else?" I ask. He shakes his head. I sigh and stand up to leave the room.

"Don't ever doubt that I'm your dad, Lainey. I am and always will be. I love you."

I smile and open the door to the library to go back to my room. Right before I leave, father says, "Lainey? It was two months into our relationship is when we found out she was pregnant. It was early, I know. I just thought you would want to know."

I nod once again and walk away.

«~*~»

Two days have passed and I still have no lead on who the man is in the photograph. With that on my mind, I also don't know what to do about the notes I've been receiving. It hasn't stopped me though. I've tried to look through the house for anything else and I've checked the floorboard everyday.

Since mother went to my school and was very active in helping the community, she could have been in numerous newspapers. They have very old ones in the library, I remember. It'll help me with my research.

Harry's coming with me too. He called me to hang out but I really have to start my investigation. I offered him to join me and he accepted.

I'm nervous to see him though. I haven't seen him since our little thing in the porch. Just thinking about it, makes me blush. I wonder if he still remembers or if he's nervous to see me too.

Ugh! All these thoughts in my head; I should be thinking about the important thing. Not that Harry isn't important. I'll just have to focus on him later.

I quickly take a shower then put on an blue Aztec themed skirt and a light gray shirt with a pair of sandles. I put on some mascara when I hear a knock downstairs.

Grabbing my camera and phone, I walk downstairs. I write a simple note to my father so he won't call me when I'm at the quiet building and be worried.

I anwser the door.

"Hi, Harry," I greet him.

He smiles and shoves his hands into his black jeans. He's wearing a white V-neck that shows of his... tattoos? His big boots intimidate my shoes because they're so big.

"Hey, Ney," he chuckles.

I raise my eyebrow at him. "So, you found out about Niall's nickname for me?" I ask as we walk down the driveway. The library is only a few blocks away so we decided to walk.

"Yeah, he's pretty... odd. Especially when we're in stage. That reminds me; we're having a concert on Friday. Do you want to come? Not as my date, as a friend, yeahhh..." he laughs loudly. The sound warms my heart. I grin and nod. He fist pumps the air then smiles.

"Niall, also told me you guys went out with Natalie, Louis, and Liam. Everyone but me. You know, I feel forgotten." Harry puts his hand on his heart and the other lays on his forehead, with his chest puffed out. He tries to fake sob but fails miserably.

I giggle and say, "You know, no one wanted you there. The boys said they needed a break from you." It's a complete lie but I like teasing him.

"Well then. I see how they are," he dramatically says then snaps his fingers.

"But I wanted you there," I blurt out. My eyes widen. Why did I say that? Did I want Harry there? I guess I did. I stop walking and look at the boy. He smiles at me and comes to stand in front if me.

I smell the scent of his strong cologne. A fresh smell of spear mint and... batter? He stares at me then leans in. I look around me quickly and see the library a few feet away. I step back.

"Look! We're almost there. Let's go?" I yell awkwardly. I turn around and walk quickly towards the brick building. I hear his footsteps behind me and a small chuckle, making me smile.

Dunce's POV

I watch as they enter the library. They look like they're enjoying their day. Harry should know better than that.

Getting attached to the person Boss wants to take out. I feel so sorry for him since he still doesn't know it's her. I mean, I can't believe he can't remember that she lives in the same house as Willow.

I laugh and get up from my seat on this black bench.

Why couldn't she just stop? Zayn left that note but she ignored it. She's persistent. Just like him. Too bad she's sticking her nose in business that isn't hers.

I click my camera just as they enter.

Hope she likes the surprise I left her. That is, if she's smart enough to find it.

SORRY! I will update this week. I've been so busy. Please understand. Who's Dunce?! What do you think will happen next? I think this is the longest ch I already have the next chapter on paper. :)

Vote and COMMENT!!