Chapter Two

"Oh my God! Victoria Maina did not graduate with us today!" Tamara said.

"What did you say?" Liz, who had just entered asked. "Are you talking about Vickie, the campus slay queen?"

"Of course," Tamara said. "I didn't hear her name being called out during the graduation ceremony. I thought that I didn't hear right. But going through the graduation list, I can't find her name among the students who graduated today in our class."

"Really?" Neema asked and rushed to look through the list. "It's true. She's not on the list."

"Tough choices, huh," Liz said. "Looks like most of her time was spent on her sugar daddies. She could not balance both her academic and personal life."

"No wonder I didn't see her at all," Tamara said. "At first I thought that she, not attending the graduation ceremony was because she had other commitments. It turns out she could not catch up. I rarely saw her in class. She only appeared when the exams were around the corner. She even missed some exams."

"There were also rumors that she is pregnant," Neema said. "But I'm not sure."

"She got knocked up?" Tamara asked. "How come I didn't hear anything like that? I should be the one giving first-hand information about her."

" Well, if it's true that she's pregnant, then I think it's a strategy to tie down one of her sugar daddies," Neema said.

"Good for her. She won't have to suffer in the outside world. She won't have to worry about money or getting a job because she has someone to provide for her and connect her to her dreams," Tamara said.

"Don't worry, Tamara," Liz said. "It doesn't matter if we don't have connections with people in high places. God will connect us."

"Amen!" Neema said and tasted the stew then turned off the cooking stove. "Dinner is ready," she said.

"Oh, I will help you set the table," Liz said.

"Okay."

As they were busy eating, Tamara turned to Liz. "What did you tell me on the phone this afternoon? That Oscar showed up in front of you and your family?"

"Who's Oscar?" Neema asked.

"Liz's ex," Tamara said and looked at Liz. "Liz, what did he want?"

"He said that he came to congratulate me. He even brought me a gift. I found it embarrassing because he met my parents just like that."

"What!" Tamara smiled and rolled her eyes. "What if your parents thought that he is your boyfriend?"

Liz shrugged. "Well, I don't know," she said. "They didn't ask about him. But if they ask about him in the future, I will say that he is just a friend."

"Do you think your parents will fall for that?" Tamara asked.

"I don't know," Liz said. "It's their problem if they don't believe me."

Neema leaned against Liz's shoulder. "Do you still feel something for him?" she asked. "Did your heart skip a beat? Didn't what you felt for him in the past rush back when you saw him again?"

"No," Liz said. "I felt nothing at all when I saw him again. I think my heart has forgotten him."

"That's good," Tamara said and put her plate in the sink. "Keep moving forward. I guess after going out with other girls; he never found anyone that could match your charm. That's why he wants you back."

"He's such a loser," Liz said. "He thinks I'm a spare wheel."

"Liz, how about you show us the gift he gave you," Neema said.

"Let me wash the dishes first," Liz said.

"No," Neema said. "I can't wait. I want to see it now."

"Me too," Tamara said. "I'm curious."

"Curiosity killed the cat," Liz said as she picked her handbag. "I don't even know what it is." She took a small box out of her handbag. Tamara and Neema came closer and observed the small box in Liz's hands.

"I guess it is jewelry," Neema said.

Tamara nodded. "I think so too."

"Okay," Liz said. "Let's see what that jerk gave me." She opened the little box, and there it was — a beautiful double butterfly necklace.

"Wow!" Neema and Tamara said in unison. Tamara took the necklace in her finger and observed it closely. "It's beautiful. Oscar sure has good taste."

"Mm...And it looks like he wanted to tell you something with this kind of gift."

Liz looked at Tamara. "What do you mean?"

"The two butterflies on the necklace have a meaning."

"Butterflies are symbols of freedom and transformation," Tamara said. "That's not bad, right?"

"Tamara is right," Neema said. "But I think these two butterflies have a different meaning. Two butterflies are also a symbol of love."

"Ha-ha...So, the two butterflies represent Liz and Oscar chained together forever," Tamara said.

"What?" Liz looked at Neema. "Do you agree with her?"

"Mm...Yeah," Neema said.

"Then I won't keep it," Liz said. "I don't want Oscar back in my life. I don't want any souvenir either."

"What's wrong with keeping such a beautiful necklace," Tamara asked. "Oh, it's very beautiful."

"I don't want it," Liz said. "You can keep it if you want."

"Are you sure?"

"Absolutely."

"I'm sorry, Oscar," Tamara said, looking at the necklace. "Liz's train already left the station."

Liz smiled. "Feeling sorry for the enemy?"

"Of course not," Tamara said. "He is a jerk." She stared at the necklace again then glanced at Neema. "Liz, why don't we give it to Neema as a parting gift? We don't know if we'll meet again after we leave this place."

"Okay," Liz said.

Neema furrowed her brow. "What are you saying?" she asked. "Of course we will meet again."

"Yeah," Liz said. "But for now, keep this necklace to remember us by."

"Liz, are you sure you want to give away such a beautiful necklace?" Neema asked.

"Umm...Very sure. Unless you want me to throw it away."

"Of course, not." She took the necklace and put it around her neck then held a mirror before her.

"Silver looks good on your skin," Tamara said.

"Oh...It's beautiful," Neema smiled. "Thank you, Liz."

"You're welcome," Liz said. "Of course, on behalf of Oscar." All of them broke into laughter.

The following morning Liz's father called to say that they had arrived home safely. She was happy and thanked God for their safe travel. Later that day, she and Tamara returned their graduation gowns to their respective academic departments. They started their journey back to their respective homes the next day, at dawn.

***