Chapter Eighteen

"Isn't that Tamara?" Ethan asked.

When he didn't get any response, he looked at her. Her face was dreamy. He smiled and flicked her forehead.

"Ouch! Why did you have to do that?"

"Sorry," he said, rubbing at the place he hit. "It's your fault. Why were you spacing out?"

She pouted her lips and looked away.

"I saw someone that looked like Tamara," he said. "She looked drunk and was being supported by a man."

"Where are they?"

"I think they went to your house."

"Could that man be Dylan?" she asked then remembered that he still hadn't met him. "Oh, Dylan is her boyfriend. But Tamara doesn't drink too much. I will go and find out what happened." She unclasped the seatbelt and got out of the car.

"Do you want me to come with you?"

"No, don't. Go home and rest." She opened the boot and took her bike.

She waved at him. "Bye, drive safely."

"I will," he said. "Don't forget that I love you so much."

"I love you too," she said then dashed towards the gate.

When Liz got to the house, she found Tamara lying on the couch and yelling at Dylan.

"Stay away from me, Dylan. I want nothing to do with you."

"Dylan, what happened?" Liz asked. She rushed and knelt beside her. "Sunshine, what happened to you? Why did you drink too much alcohol?"

Tamara pointed at Dylan with her finger. "Tell this jerk to go away. I don't want to see him."

Liz narrowed her eyes at Dylan.

"I'm sorry. It's my fault," Dylan said.

"What did you do?"

"Get him out of here!" Tamara said.

Liz covered her ears with her hands and stood up. "You're hurting my ears," she told Tamara.

"Tell him to go away!"

She looked at him. "Dylan, go home. I will take it from here."

"Why did you lie to me?" Tamara said when Dylan left.

"All will be fine," Liz said. "Let's get you to your bedroom." She put her arm around her neck and made her stand.

"Ugh, you're so heavy," Liz said as they neared Tamara's bedroom door. She struggled and dropped with her on the bed. She then stood up and made her lie properly then tucked her in. She then flipped the switch to turn off the lights and left. She pondered about what had happened to her best friend.

When Tamara woke up the next day in the morning, Liz was at her bedside.

"Morning," she said.

"You're awake," Liz said. "I prepared some coffee to ease your hangover."

"You're an angel. I have a splitting headache." She took the coffee and sipped it.

"Be careful. It's hot."

She smiled. "Don't worry. I won't burn myself. I like it hot."

"I know," Liz said. "Will you tell me what happened yesterday? Why did you drink too much?"

Tamara put the cup down. "Nothing. I just felt like drinking. I was celebrating my being single again."

"What do you mean? Did you break up with Dylan?"

"Don't mention that jerk's name ever again!"

"Hey, calm down. I won't say his name again," Liz said. "Tell me what happened between you two."

"He turned me into a mistress," Tamara said. "How come I never found out that he is married?"

"It's not your fault," Liz said. "He is the one who lied to you."

"You know, even though I am hurt, I feel lucky. What if I became pregnant with his child before learning about his marriage? What would I have done?"

"It's a good thing that you know the truth," Liz said. "What do you plan to do?"

"To live my life and stay away from him, of course," she said. "He made me a mistress and that is unforgivable."

"I support you. He is not the only man left in the world. You will find your own happiness in due time."

"I know," Tamara said then her phone rang. She looked at the screen of her phone then looked at Liz. "It's Dylan."

"Answer it," Liz said.

She pursed her lips then answered the call. "What do you want?" Tamara asked.

"I'm sorry for lying to you," Dylan said. "Please forgive me."

"I will forgive you," Tamara said. "But you have to earn my forgiveness."

"Thank you so much, Hun," Dylan said. "I will do anything to earn your forgiveness. Just say it."

"You only have to do one simple thing for me," she said. "Don't let me see you again in this lifetime."

"What?"

"You heard me right," Tamara said. "Don't let our paths cross again."

"I'm so sorry, Tamara," he said. "Please understand me. I can't live without you."

"Dylan, do you look down on me that much? She asked. "Do you think I'm mistress material?" She paused for a moment then continued. "Why am I even asking? That was your mindset from the moment you met me and decided to turn me into a mistress."

"Tamara, I can divorce my wife if..."

"Stop right there!" she said. "I won't be a home wrecker. I can't build my happiness on somebody else's tears. Dylan, I don't care what you do with your marriage. Just stay away from me. I won't be the intruder anymore. In the past, I was a mistress without my knowledge. Today, I know that you're married and I won't entertain you anymore."

"How am I going to live without you in my life?"

"That's your business. Deal with it," she said then hung up.

"Why don't we go out and play?" Liz said. "Let's forget the pain, even for a day. I know a go-karting restaurant in town. We can start from there then go on a shopping spree later. I got my first paycheck from my online research job. It's my treat today. Let's go and spoil ourselves."

"Okay," Tamara said. "How about Ethan, are you not sending him to the airport?"

"Ethan is already on the plane to London. He didn't want me to accompany him to the airport but he called me before boarding the plane."

"Okay. Let's doll ourselves up and go," Tamara said, getting out of bed. "Don't complain if I spend too much."

"Don't worry about spending," Liz said. "You're free to spend as much as you want."

"I will hold you to that," Tamara said and rushed to the shower. "Please help me make my bed."

"Okay," Liz said and started making the bed.

Minutes later, they left the house and boarded a bus to town.

***