Chapter Thirty-Four

"Hey," Nelson started a chat with Bea on WhatsApp.

"Hey Nelson, how are you?" Bea typed.

"I'm good. I have some information on that Liz girl."

"Okay. Tell me," she typed.

"You have to brace yourself," he said. "It is something big."

"Hey, don't scare me. Just say it. I'm not weak you know."

"Liz and Oscar attended the same college. She was graduated a year after him."

"No wonder," she typed. "He helped her get a job in the company and protected her when she messed up. They must be friends, right?"

"More than that. They were sweethearts in college."

Bea's heart skipped a beat when he read the message. "Oh my! Liz is his one true love! How am I going to win over her?"

"You don't have to worry. She is now dating the CEO of Lithan Technologies, Ethan Mungai."

"So you think she is no longer a threat?"

"Yeah. Plus, you are getting married to Oscar soon. You have the support of his family. There is no way he can escape from you. He knows how important this marriage is to both your families."

"I see. Thanks. How about we meet tomorrow for lunch."

"You are a quick learner," he said.

"Stop teasing me, or I will change my mind."

"Hahaha, see you tomorrow," he typed. "Goodnight."

"Good night to you too," she typed then went offline.

---

On Friday evening at around eight, Ethan drove Liz to a high-end hotel in the city. She had told him that she was going to have dinner with friends from college. Well, she didn't know how to tell him that she was going on a dinner date with her boss. That is why she resorted to lies.

"Enjoy your dinner," he said after she got out of the car. "Do you want me to pick you?"

"No. I will take a cab back home."

"Fine. Call me, if you need me, and I will be here in an instant."

"Okay. Be careful on the road."

"I will," he said then drove off.

Oscar was waiting for her on the hotel's rooftop.

"Thank you for coming," Oscar said. "I was starting to think that you had changed your mind about coming."

Liz smirked. "I always keep my promises."

"I know," he said. "Look, I ordered different dishes. Taste and see if you like them."

Her brows twitched as she looked at the dishes that were set on the table. "Um, all these, how are we going to finish them?"

"I'm so hungry," Oscar said. "Let's start eating."

"Fine. But you didn't have to order all these. It will be a waste if we don't finish them. Do you know how many people are going without food out there?"

"I get you, Liz. Next time I will put that in mind," he said. "Can we eat now?"

Liz nodded.

"You don't have to be shy in front of me," he said as he put food in her plate. "Eat as much as you want."

"Don't. I can do it myself."

Oscar stared at her. She nodded.

"Okay," he said and served himself.

The waiter cleared the table when they were through.

She sipped her white wine and stared at him.

"What? Are you admiring my handsome face?"

She smirked and looked away. "You wish!"

"Liz."

She looked at him. "Um?"

"Breaking up with you was stupid of me," he said. "You are a very good girl. How I wish we could go back in time so that I can mend my mistake. I should never have broken up with you."

"But unfortunately, we can't go back in time," Liz said. "We can only move forward and learn from our mistakes. We should cherish those around us so that we don't regret in the future."

"Can you give me one more chance, Liz? One last chance."

He reached for her hand but she shoved it away. "You know I can't," she said then got to her feet.

"Why? Is it because of Ethan?" He stood up and looked her in the eye. "I promise that I will do better than him. I will work hard to make you happy, I promise." He touched her face.

She took his hand away from her face. "I'm sorry, Oscar," she said. "I love Ethan."

"But you used to love me too," he said. "I'm sure I still have a place in your heart."

"Oscar..." She turned and made a step away from him but he grabbed her hand and pulled her towards him. He hugged her tightly.

"I love you so much, Liz," he said. "I have been looking for you all these years. I regret hurting you in the past. Please forgive me."

"I forgave you a long time ago," she said.

Hearing that, he let go of her and cupped her face.

"Really, have you forgiven me?"

She nodded. "Ye-yeah."

He slouched and made his forehead touch hers. "Thank you so much."

She moved away. "But we can't go back to how things were in the past," she said. "Oscar, you are getting married soon. Don't you think you're being unfair to your wife to be?"

"But I don't love her. Our marriage is arranged. The one I love is you."

"It's impossible between us, Oscar," she said. "The one I love is Ethan." With that, she walked away.

Oscar rushed after her. "Let me drive you home."

Her brow wrinkled. "What? You can't do that."

"Why? Do you hate me so much that you can't let me take you home?"

"No. I have my own reasons."

"What reasons?" he asked. "Do you live with him?"

She pursed her lips and nodded.

He smirked. There were traces of bitterness in his eyes. "Okay. I will arrange for a taxi for you," he said.

"I will..." she started but he cut her short.

"Please don't take that away from me," he said. "I will feel good if I do something for you, even if I don't get to keep you."

She stared at him. "Okay," she said.

The taxi arrived ten minutes later, then they went their separate ways.

***