Chapter Nineteen

"I'm not sorry for what I am today," Flo, a Kenyan socialite said during an interview with a journalist from a local media house. She had been asked questions about her sponsored relationship with some tycoon. "I get paid for looking good, and on top of that, I get expensive vacations and gifts. Life has been good to me. Who knew that a former house help like me could have a whole new life? I now own a beautiful house and car. I also give back to society. I own a Children's Home in Kayole. Giving those children hope for a better future makes me very happy."

"Wow, have you done all that with what you earn from your relationship?"

"Ha-ha.... Anne, you make it sound like a job."

"Isn't it?" Anne the journalist asked.

"Of course not," she said. "It's just a normal relationship. The only difference is that it has benefits. The guy I am dating is super rich and not stingy. I mean... who doesn't like money? Our economy is bad. Everything is expensive. Having someone who's ready to spend so much money on you is a miracle."

"Do you think what she is doing is right?" Tamara asked Liz.

"What?" she asked in confusion.

"I'm talking about the interview on TV," Tamara said. "Do you think it is okay to have a sponsor? Is it okay to use the money she gets from her sponsor for charity?"

"I don't know," she said "As long as she is happy and at peace, I think nothing else matters. She can spend her money on whatever she wants."

"Ah... How I wish I had a sponsor to spoil me once in a while," Tamara said falling on her back on the couch.

"If I had a sponsor, he would help me get a job," Liz said and shook her head. "Who told me to be born in a poor family? I don't have any connections."

"True. In this era, you need connections to be employed," Tamara said. "But don't worry. Your time will come."

"Really? When? I have been waiting for almost three years now," Liz said. "What is the point of going to school if you can't get employed?"

"Hey, why don't you work for Ethan? You said he started a company when he came back, right? Just imagine, you will be the lady boss in the company."

"I can't work for Ethan."

"But why?"

"Working together might destroy our relationship," Liz said. "Also, I am not an IT person. I will not understand anything."

Tamara sat up and laced her fingers. "But an accountant can work in any organization."

"You're right," Liz said. "But I would rather stay out of his business. I should find my own place in this world. I can't totally rely on him for survival."

"I get you. Self- respect is important," Tamara said. "But you can still visit him at the office, right?"

Liz nodded. "Of course," she said.

Tamara leaned towards her. "By the way, how are you doing playing house with him?"

Liz giggled. "Good."

Tamara's jaw dropped, with her eyes almost popping out of their sockets. "Just that?"

Liz held her chin and made her close her mouth. "Don't let a fly get into your mouth."

Tamara took a pillow and threw at her but she evaded it.

---

Liz walked in and dropped on the sofa next to Ethan.

"Babe, you are home early today," she said.

"Mm..." He took her hand in his and looked her directly in the eyes. "I will try not to work late frequently so that we can have more time to ourselves."

"You don't have to worry about anything," Liz said. "As long as you love me, nothing else matters."

He moved closer and made her head rest on his chest. "How is Tamara?"

"She's fine."

"That is good to know," he said then paused for a moment and continued. "Babe, I have something important to tell you."

"I hope it is not bad news," she said. "If so, don't tell me just yet."

He smiled and rubbed the back of her hand. "It is not bad news."

"Really?" she asked, springing to life. "What is it?"

"I want to take you home this weekend to meet my parents."

"Oh..." The smile she initially had was suddenly wiped off.

"What's wrong?" he asked. "Don't you think it's about time you meet my family?"

"I'm afraid," she said, pouting her lips.

"Afraid?" he asked, "Why would you be afraid when I will be there with you? They won't do anything to you, I swear."

"It's not that," she said. "See, I don't have a job, and I'm already living with you. Your parents might think that I am a gold digger."

"Don't worry," he said putting his arm around her neck and pulling her closer. "My parents are not like that. They are easy to get along with, especially my mother, you'll see."

She pursed her lips. "Okay, let's do it this weekend," she said.

He smiled. "Thank you for agreeing," he said. "I thought you were going to turn me down."

"I can still do it if that's what you wanted."

He chuckled. "Okay. Stop talking nonsense," he said. "By the way, we shouldn't tell them that we are living together to avoid misunderstandings. My parents are conservative, you know."

"I understand," she said. "Even my parents won't like the idea of us staying together."

***