Chapter Eight

If he only knew how much walking she had to do around the city to find that café. Tamara had given her directions to the café from the bus stop. She also had google maps, but she didn't get it right. She got lost.

She was afraid of asking someone for directions because many conmen took advantage of people who did not know their way around the city. She was relieved when she saw a bank on the street she was in after searching for the coffee house for a while. There were security guards outside the bank. It was no secret that security guards and police officers were the best people to ask for direction when lost in the city.

"Hello," she said when she got to him.

"Hello, how can I help you?"

"Do you by any chance, know where Kahawa Coffee House is? I was told that it is on Moi Avenue, but I don't even know where Moi Avenue is."

"This street is Moi Avenue," the security guard said. "Go straight. Kahawa Coffee House is almost at the end of this street, on your right-hand side."

"Thank you so much," she said and left.

She finally found the café some minutes later. However, she didn't go to the café immediately; she wasn't going to let him see her looking all beat up from walking. She walked into a restaurant opposite to Kahawa Coffee House and sat at an unoccupied table. A waiter walked to her table, and before she could ask her anything, she asked her the direction to the washroom. The waiter dutifully told her where the restrooms were and she went there right away.

She came out of the restroom a few minutes later, looking as fresh as she was when she left the house. She had retouched her make-up, wiped off the dust from her legs and resprayed herself with her mild spray that gave a sweet, refreshing fragrance. She then walked out of the restaurant and went to Kahawa Coffee House.

"I'm sorry I made you wait," she said, looking at him with her beautiful eyes that made his heart melt.

"It's okay. I understand," he said. "I would wait for you forever if I have to."

Liz smiled.

"Thank you for coming," he said. "You look amazing."

"Thank you," she said, raising an eyebrow. "You don't look bad either."

Ethan rubbed his chin with his hand and smiled.

"Hello, are you ready to place your order now?" the waiter asked.

"Of course," Ethan said, looking at the menu. "Coffee and a black forest cake. Liz, what would you like to order?" He handed her the menu.

"I think I will have the same as you," she said and put the menu down.

Ethan looked at the waiter. "You heard her."

"Yes, Sir."

"So, where were we?" Ethan asked when the waiter left.

"We were at the point where you were supposed to tell me how you got my number," Liz said.

"Actually, I didn't ask you out for that," he said. "I really like you, Liz. I am telling you that from now on I will pursue you until you accept me as your boyfriend."

The waiter arrived with their coffee and cake and set it on the table.

"Thank you," Liz told the waiter.

"Liz, did you hear what I said?"

"I did," she said. "What if I don't accept you as my boyfriend?"

"Then I will pursue you for eternity."

Liz smiled. "Then, good luck."

"Can you tell me a little about yourself?" he asked.

"Well, there's nothing much to tell," she said. "Liz is just a simple girl. I graduated from college last year, I don't have a job yet and I am staying with a friend here in Nairobi."

Is that friend Sunshine? He thought.

"That's all," she said when she didn't see any reaction from him.

What is he thinking? She pondered. Is he not interested in me anymore because he thinks I will totally rely on him because I have no job and a place of my own?

"I work in the Ministry of Communication in the IT department," he said. "And I live in Karen. Are you an only child to your parents?"

"No. I have two siblings, Aidan and Imani," she said. "I'm the first born."

"That's good to know," he said. "I'm the only child to my mother."

Her brows twitched. Goodness! Is he a Mama's boy? She thought.

He continued. "I also have a brother," he said. "His name is Ty. He's my brother from another mother."

"Cool," she said.

"Can I ask you a foolish question?"

Liz pursed her lips. "Ask away."

"Who's Sunshine?" he asked. "That day at the train station, you left in a hurry because Sunshine had an emergency, I guess."

Liz smiled. "Sunshine is my best friend. She's the one I'm staying with."

"Wow, such a beautiful name!" he said. Good thing Sunshine is not male, he thought. I would be jealous if that were the case. Then he remembered that in this era, a girl can also be a rival.

"So how long have you been friends with Sunshine?"

"A very long time," she said. "We have been friends since high school. We attended the same high school and university."

"I see, your friendship must be very deep."

"Umm...we're very close," she said. "You know, I'm the only one who calls her Sunshine. I call her that because her middle name means sunshine in English. Her official name is Tamara"

You're so foolish, Ethan, he thought. How could you let your thoughts run wild? She wouldn't have come if she wasn't into men.

***