Chapter Seven

"Hey buddy, are we ever going to finish this project if you keep spacing out like this?" Greg asked Ethan.

He slapped him lightly on the shoulder. "I'm talking to you, Ethan."

"Greg," he said, still confused.

"Why do you keep spacing out?" Greg asked. "Judging by the dreamy face and smile, anybody would think you're in love."

"Hahaha, what did you say? I'm not in love."

Greg looked closely at him. "Are you sure?" he asked. "Did something happen during your trip to Mombasa. You have changed a lot ever since you came back."

"Really? I don't think so."

"You won't know," Greg said. "Seriously Ethan, are you in love? Just tell me. I swear I won't tell anybody."

Ethan scratched his chin and smiled. "Okay. I will tell you the truth. I met a girl on the train."

"I knew it! I knew something happened during your trip to Mombasa!"

Ethan furrowed his brow. "Shhh! Quiet! The whole office will know about it."

"Okay, I'm now quiet," he said, then his face lit up with a smile. "Tell me, who's this girl who has managed to bring down the lion?"

"What are you talking about?"

"Well, I understand if you don't want to talk about her," Greg said. "It's okay if you want her all for yourself."

Ethan smacked. "Have you gone crazy because of my love life?"

"I haven't gone crazy," Greg said. "The crazy one is you. That girl must really be special. Why don't you call her instead of fantasizing about her?"

"Who told you that I fantasize about her?"

"How else would you explain the smile and dreamy face?"

"Enough about me," Ethan said. "Let's go back to work."

"Hahaha! Changing the subject means what I said earlier was true," Greg said. "You were fantasizing about her. Call her. Don't waste any more time. If you don't have her number then you'll have to keep fantasizing until you meet her again. That is if you're fated to meet again."

Ethan smiled then shook his head. "Seriously Greg, let's go back to work."

Greg started typing on his computer. "Find her, if you miss her," he said. "Don't wait until it's too late. Somebody else might take her away if you continue being indecisive."

"Are you going to stop?"

Greg threw his hands in the air. "Okay. I won't say anything else about your love life."

"Thank you," Ethan said.

Greg is right, he thought. Why fantasize if I can call her?

He went to the bathroom and looked around to make sure he was alone. He then dialed her number.

"Hello," Liz's voice was heard on the other side of the line.

"Hello, Liz. It's Ethan."

"Ethan?"

"Yeah, it's me, Liz. We met on the train."

"How could I forget?" she said. "Ethan, can I ask how you got my number?"

He chuckled. "No. It's a secret. But I can tell you under one condition."

"What condition?"

"That you let me tell you over coffee."

Liz was thrilled by what she had heard but did not want to show her excitement. "Umm...Let's see....

"Seriously, Liz there is no need of beating around the bush," he said. "I would love to see you again. Will you be available today at 4 PM?"

"We can make it some other day if you can't make it today."

"No. Let's meet today," she said, then a smile curled on her lips. I would love to see you too, she thought.

"Okay. Let's meet at Kahawa Coffee House in Town," he said. "Do you know where it is?"

"No. I still don't know my way around the city. I don't know where Kahawa Coffee House is located.

"Where do you live? I will come to pick you."

"No. Don't bother. I will meet you there."

"Are you sure?"

"Yeah. I will use google maps."

"Okay. Remember to save my number. Call me in case of anything."

"Fine. See you at 4 PM. I'm hanging up."

"See you," he said, then the line went dead. He smiled. "Yes! The first date, here I come..."

Two hours later at exactly 4 PM, Ethan was at Kahawa Coffee House. He chose a table by the window. It was a good spot because he could see the entrance. It would be easier for him to see her when she entered. That way, she would not waste time trying to find him.

"Hello, would you like to place your order?" the waiter asked.

"Not now," Ethan said. "I'm waiting for someone. Just bring me a glass of water."

The waiter left and came back some minutes later with a glass of water for him.

Ethan threw glances at the doorway every time a customer entered the café thinking it was her, but nothing. As he waited, he started getting weird ideas in his head. He thought he was going to be stood up. She had easily accepted his invitation. Maybe she was not serious when she said that she was coming. Or maybe she got lost.

At around 4:30 PM a figure appeared at the door, just when he was about to call her. It was her, looking like a goddess. She was wearing a red bodycon dress that accentuated her beautiful curves. Her thick curls were held in a high bun, revealing her beautiful facial features. His heart raced just by looking at her. He dialed her phone number and watched her gracefully receive the call.

"I have arrived. Where are you?" she said, her words sounding like music to his ear.

"I can see you. Look at 3 O'clock."

"Oh," she followed his instruction, and when she found him with her eyes, he waved at her.

She gave him that killer smile that put him on fire. Then she adjusted the strap of her snap bag on her shoulder and walked towards him. He stood up when she was a few steps away and watched her. Her skin was glowing! The beautiful shade of red lipstick on her lips made her look divine.

"Hi," he said, pulling out a chair for her. He had struggled with different ideas on how he was going to greet her. A simple hug, a French kiss or a handshake? He didn't want to mess up things. He stroked out the first two options. He didn't want her to misunderstand him. So he settled for a handshake but decided against it because it would be formal. After pondering over it for a while, he just decided to go with the flow.

"Hello. How are you?"

"I'm good," he said. "I'm glad that you made it."

She pursed her lips and blinked. "I always keep my word. I wouldn't have accepted your invitation if I wasn't coming."

***