Chapter Thirty-Six

Liz didn't imagine that there will be reporters waiting for her outside the office building. They surrounded her in an instant when they saw her coming out.

"Are you cheating on your boyfriend with your boss?" a reporter from a gossip media company asked as he waved a microphone near her mouth.

"Is what they are saying online true?" another one asked.

"Who will you choose between those two golden boys?"

Liz felt suffocated. She could not breathe properly with all those people around her.

"Say something."

"Aren't you going to defend yourself?"

Madeline who was watching the TV at that time sneered. "I was not wrong about this girl," she said. "She doesn't deserve my son."

Liz tried to speak but her mouth suddenly went dry. Her lips moved but no sound came out.

"What is she saying?" the reporters asked each other.

Suddenly, a car stopped at the scene. A man in a navy blue suit stepped out of the car, grabbed her hand and whisked her into the car. It happened so fast that she didn't have time to react.

The car drove off at a very high speed. She could have hit her head on the backrest of the front seat if she wasn't held back by strong hands. She came back to her senses.

"Oh, it is you, Oscar," she said.

"Yeah. I'm sorry for putting you through this."

"It is okay. Thanks for saving me from the reporters."

"Don't mention it. It's my fault. If I didn't insist that we go..."

She cut him short. "Never mind. Drop me off at the intersection. I will take a taxi back home. I don't want them to see me with you." She took a scarf and sunglasses out of her handbag and used them to disguise herself.

"Okay. I'm sorry."

"Stop apologizing. It is okay."

She was dropped off at the intersection then Oscar was driven home.

"Mom," he called out the moment he entered the house.

His mother smiled. "Son, you're home," she said.

"Mom, are you okay?"

"I'm fine, son," she said and switched off the TV. "Son, what is going on between you and that Lissette?"

Oscar sighed. "Nothing mom," he said. "You know how the press can twist the truth and make lies appear true."

"So in short, you are denying that you were with her that night?"

"It's true that I was with her but..."

"I want that girl fired!" his mother said.

"I can't do that mom."

"Have you ever considered Beatrice's feelings?" she asked. "How dare you go out with another girl when you already have a fiancée?"

"Mom..."

"Don't mom me! I want you to cut all ties with that girl!"

"I'm sorry, mom. I can't do that."

She slapped him across the face. "You're going to do what I say because I am your mother."

He glared at her. "Mom, have you ever considered my feelings?"

"Your mother is right," his father, who had just walked in said. "Stay away from that girl and focus on your fiancée and your upcoming wedding."