Chapter Thirty-One

Harry suddenly got to his feet. "Dad, mom, don't force her," he said. "I will give her my blessing if she doesn't want to be with me. I know I have been selfish. I should let her be happy, even if it's not with me. What she said is right. Why should I expect her to be with me if I know how hard it is to be with someone I don't love?"

"Dad, please give Ethan a chance, you'll like him, I promise."

"Don't promise anything," her dad said. "I'm sorry, Harry for making you hope for nothing. This child of ours is such a disappointment."

Hearing that, Liz's jaw dropped.

"It's not your fault dad," Harry said. "It was me who persisted with this one-sided love. I thought she would eventually love me back but I was wrong."

"I wish I could tell my heart to love you instead of Ethan, but I just can't," Liz said. "Forgive..."

He interrupted her. "No, don't apologize to me, Liz, he said. "I should be the one to apologize to you. I have been a bother to you in the past few days."

Liz pursed her lips and looked away.

"I should go now," Harry said.

"Take care of yourself, child," Liz's father told him.

"I will," he said then left.

Mr. Lukorito glared at his daughter. "See how you've hurt him," he said.

Liz pouted her lips and furrowed her brow. "Would you rather I got hurt instead, dad?"

Her father sighed. "Of course, not," he said. "Tell your boyfriend to come over tomorrow for dinner. We have to meet him before we go back home."

Liz smiled. "Thank you so much, dad."

"Don't thank me," he said. "Thank Harry for giving up on you. If he didn't I would have supported him to the end."

Liz frowned. "Dad!"

"Ha-ha! Child, don't mind your father," her mother said. "You know your father. He is just kidding."

Mr. Lukorito glared at Liz's mom.

Liz pursed her lips then sighed. "Dad, I will still thank you for accepting to meet Ethan," she said. "It means a lot to me."

"He had better love you as much as you do him or else he'll get it from me," her father said.

"He does, dad."

"Okay, we shall see if that's true when I meet him."

The following day in the evening, Ethan had dinner with Liz and her family and everything was fine. Although her parents had reservations about him because he came from a wealthy family, they agreed to let him date their daughter because she loved him very much. However, they secretly hoped that their relationship would not last. They didn't want him as their son-in-law because they were afraid that their daughter would suffer in the hands of his family.

Liz's parents traveled back home the next day and Liz went back to her home with Ethan.

---

It was around one o'clock in the afternoon, and people in the office were preparing to go for lunch. Liz put away her things and stood up, ready to go to the staff cafeteria.

"Liz, the boss wants you in his office now," Claire said.

Why is he looking for me? She pondered. Then she remembered the mistake she made with the price in the contract and gasped. Is he going to fire me? Maybe he can forgive me if I beg.