Chapter Twenty-Six

"How did it go with the boss?" Trisha, one of the accountants asked when she saw Liz. The rest stared at her as they eagerly awaited her answer.

"Pretty good," she said and got seated.

Her workmates started talking amongst themselves again. Liz quietly went back to what she was doing before she left as she listened to their little gossip, or whatever it was.

"Is she telling the truth?"

"She is lying."

"No. Maybe the boss let her off the hook this time around."

"What did she do?"

"That is what I am..."

"Don't you have anything to do?" Robert asked. Robert was the Chief Financial Controller and their supervisor.

The disorderly atmosphere was replaced by quiet as people fumbled with their computers and files in their workstations.

"Claire, bring me last month's sales report," he said.

"Right away, Sir."

"This is not a marketplace," he said. "Focus on your work, unless you want to be fired."

He then left the room and went back to his office.

---

"Tamara," her boss started when she entered her office. "I have a new client for you. He is in the boardroom. I will introduce him to you."

Tamara smiled and followed her boss to the boardroom.

"Mr. Mungai, this is Tamara Waswa," her boss said. "She will be working on your project." She then turned to Tamara. "Tamara, Mr. Mungai is the Head of Marketing at Keziah Castle."

Tamara outstretched her arm towards Mr. Mungai. "Pleasure to meet you Mr. Mungai," she said. "You won't regret choosing Koko Advertising Company."

"The pleasure is mine," he said, shaking her hand firmly. "Why don't we get started?"

"Okay," Tamara said pulling out a chair and sitting down.

---

Before leaving the office, Liz sent Tamara a text message to tell her that she was getting off work so Tamara could also prepare to leave if she wasn't going to work late. Liz's office was a few blocks away from Tamara's. That was a blessing to them because it made it easy for them to meet up and catch up after work. Liz barely had time to visit her at home ever since she started working and that was the only way they could see each other during weekdays.

Tamara waited for her outside her office building.

"How was your day?" Tamara asked as they strolled along the street.

"Pretty good," Liz said. "And yours?"

She smiled. "Mine was great."

Liz stopped and stared at her. "It looks like something big happened today," she said. "Spit it out."

Tamara blushed. "I won't tell you," she said.

Liz raised an eyebrow. "Are you sure?" she asked. "Fine, then I won't tell you about the interesting thing that happened to me today." She walked past her.

Tamara, who was still standing rushed after her. "Fine, I will tell you. You know I can't pass on an opportunity to listen to gossip, especially if it is from you."

Liz smiled. "Your appetite for gossip is really big."

"Then feed me the gossip," she said clinging on her hand.