Chapter Thirty-Two

What is her relationship with Oscar? She pondered. Are they dating?

She was curious to find out their relationship. She went directly to Claire's desk to fish some information out of her.

She did not beat around the bush. "Claire, do you know Architect Beatrice Mwema?" she asked.

"Yeah. She is the boss's fiancée," she said. "Why do you ask?"

"Nothing. I only met her today, and I'm curious to know a little more about her. You know, getting to know another employee of the company."

"There are rumors that the boss was forced into accepting her by his parents," Claire said. "You know rich people treat marriage like a business transaction."

"That is sad," Liz said.

"Hey, but don't be fooled. She is in love with the boss. That is why she fiercely guards him against other office girls."

"I see," Liz said. "Hey, let me go back to work before Robert catches us slacking off."

Claire nodded. "Hmmm."

Liz went back to her workstation and made herself busy.

---

"Why is it so easy for you to have a meal with someone you only met a while ago than me who has always been by your side?" Bea asked.

Oscar smiled. "You're talking about Liz?"

"Liz?" She glared at him. "Are you that close?"

"Bea, don't overthink," Oscar said. "It was just a meal."

Bea narrowed her eyes at him. "Tell me the truth, Oscar. Are you into her?"

He put his elbows on the table and laced his fingers. "Ha! Do you want to know the truth? Aren't you afraid that the truth will hurt you?"

Her jaw dropped. "Oscar! What are you saying? I'm your fiancée."

"So what?" he asked. "We don't love each other. Our engagement is just a trade."

"What? But you know how I feel about you," she said, her eyes getting teary. "I have patiently waited for you to forget your ex. Are you going to fall in love with somebody else right before my eyes?"

"Bea, I don't want to argue with you," he said. "I think you should go back to work. I have work to do too."

"But..."

He cut her short. "Bea, out," he said.

"Fine," she said and walked out of the office.

---

Standing near the window, she saw Liz walking out of the company building. She looked at her watch. "It's five already?" she said then watched her as she turned at the intersection and disappeared behind the buildings.

She dialed Nelson's number on her mobile phone. Nelson was an IT guy and her friend from college.

"Hello," Nelson said from the other end.

"Hello, Nelson. How are you?"

"I'm good. What can I do for you today?"

"How did you know that I'm going to ask you to do something for me?"

"You only call when you want something from me," Nelson said.

"What? Are you shocked? Don't worry. It's okay with me."

"Ah...Nelson, I'm sorry if I make you feel used," she said. "Forgive my selfishness."

"It is okay. You are free to use me whenever you like," Nelson said. "Go ahead. Tell me what I can do for you."