Chapter Twenty-Three

As they drove back to the city, Liz was happy that at least things went well with Ethan's dad and brother. The only one she had to find a way to impress was his mother. She believed that with a little hard work, she would be able to win her over.

"Why are you smiling," Ethan asked, tapping on the steering wheel with his index finger.

"Nothing," she said. "I'm just happy that I have met your family."

"Really? Do you feel the same about my mom?"

"Of course. Even though our first encounter was bad, I'm happy that I met her. We will work out our relationship with time."

"I'm glad to hear that. I was afraid that you would be scared away and break up with me because of her."

"Hey, don't underestimate the fighting spirit of weeds like me," she said. "I will never leave, even if you push me away.

He smiled. "Hmm..."

"Are you scared of me now?" she asked.

"No. Why would I be scared of my most favorite person in this world?"

"Then you should be scared."

"Ah, why?"

"Because I will cling on you forever," she said, clinging on his hand. "You should back out now to avoid regrets."

"Never," he said. "I can't imagine seeing you in another man's arms. Therefore, I will keep you by my side forever. I will never let you escape."

"Then kidnap me. I am your willing hostage."

He smiled. "Hey, you volunteered yourself," he said. "I will hold you to that."

---

Some days after the visit to her in-laws, Liz visited Tamara.

"How did the visit to your in-laws go?" Tamara asked.

"It was great," Liz said. "His father and brother are cool."

"Oh, that is good to know," she said. "And his mother? Did you click?"

Liz gave her a fleeting smile and shook her head. "That woman is a tough nut to crack."

Tamara lay on her tummy with her left hand supporting her head. "What do you mean? Did she give you a hard time?"

"No. She is just prejudiced about me," she said. "You should have seen how she reacted when she found out that I am from a low-income family and I do not have a job. She immediately unleashed her claws and wanted me to stay away from her son."

Tamara licked her lips and furrowed her brows. "It sounds like she is a mother-in-law from hell," Tamara said.

Liz sighed. "You don't say... She was even ready to bribe me with money and a job for me to leave Ethan."

"That's sad. How did Ethan react?"

Liz smiled and leaned back in the sofa. "Ethan is just the sweetest. He stood up for me."

Tamara smiled. "Wow...that shows that he truly loves you," she said. "If he can defy his mother for you then..."

"But it doesn't feel right seeing a son and his mother fight because of me," Liz said, her face darkening with sadness. "I have to find a way to change my life. There has to be something I can do to make her accept me."

Tamara sighed. "Why is it so hard to achieve simple happiness?"

"What do you mean?"

"Why do we have to work so hard to be happy?"

Liz shrugged. "I don't know."

"You see, to achieve the simplest form of happiness one has to at least have a career and a love life," Tamara said. "Just look at me, although I have a job, finding someone who is reliable and willing to invest in a long-term relationship with me is so hard. You, on the other hand, is finding it hard to find a job and it's even getting in the way of your love life. It's like we have half-happiness. We need the other half to be completely happy."

"Don't worry," Liz said. "Things will work out eventually. I will find a job and find a way to protect my love, and you will meet the love of your life when you least expect. In the meantime, we should hold tightly onto the half happiness we now have as we wait for the other half."

"Hmmm...Do you think so?"

"Of course," Liz said. "Just be patient."

"Okay then. I will follow your advice," Tamara said. "So what are you going to do?"

Liz stared at her. "What am I going to do about what?"

"Duh, what are we talking about? Your mother-in-law, of course."

"Huh, I don't know, but I will find a way to make her accept me."

"By sucking up to her?" Tamara asked.

"If I have to," she said, touching the bridge between her eyes with her index finger. "But I think if I become an outstanding lady, it would be easier for her to accept me."

"And how do you plan to do that?"

"You know, I have been thinking of starting a business for a while now," Liz said. "I can't wait for a job all my life."

"Oh, I get it," Tamara said and raised a brow. "If you start a business and succeed maybe your mother-in-law will approve of your relationship with Ethan."

Liz nodded. "Um...But I'm also doing it for myself. I'm tired of being looked down on just because I was born poor and I'm unemployed. I want to take control of my destiny."

"Mm...What about the capital?"

"Well, I have my savings from the online research job," she said. "I will use them to start my business."

"That sounds like a well thought-out plan," Tamara said. "Do you have room for a partner?"

"Are you for real?" Liz asked. "You want to be a partner even before you know what kind of business I'm going to start?"

"Why not," she said. "I believe in you. Plus, you can't afford to miss out on me and my PR capabilities."

"Okay," Liz said. Her phone rang. She sat up and picked it up.

She leaned towards Tamara. "It is my mom," she said.

"Hello, mom," she said.

"Hello, dear. How are you doing?"

"I'm doing great mom, and you? How is everybody at home?"

"They are all fine," her mother said. "Child, how is your job search coming along?"

That was the kind of question that made her sick every time she thought of talking to her parents. They always asked her about her job search, and she hated breaking their hearts whenever she told them that she wasn't employed yet. Most of the time, she struggled with her inner self whether she should lie to them about her employment status for their peace of mind. But then, how would that benefit her? What if they found out that it was just a lie? They would be more hurt. So, hurting them over and over again seemed to be only the viable option.

"Mom, I'm still searching...," she said.

"Fine. Keep searching," her mother said. "But you should also remember that age is catching up with you. You should be thinking of settling down with someone respectable."

"Mom, are you afraid that I will be a left-over woman?"

"No child, don't overthink," she said. "I just don't want to you to miss out on happiness."

"I understand, mom. I will think about it."

"Fine, and when you look for someone, don't look for someone who is very rich. Even if he loves you, his family might look down on you because of our family status in society. I don't want them mopping the floor with you."

That came out like a bomb, which just exploded in her face. Was she going to have problems with her family accepting Ethan?

"Okay, mom. I will put that in mind."

***