Chapter Thirty-Seven

Ethan drove home directly from the airport.

"Sweetie, I'm home," he said when he walked into their house.

"Oh, bro, you are home?" Ty said, walking into the living room with a glass of fresh juice in his hand.

Ethan frowned. "Why is it you?" he asked. "Why are you in my house?"

"Babe!"

"Sorry bro, Liz is not home."

"What do you mean? Where is she?"

"She is gone," Ty said putting the glass of fresh juice on the table. "She left your key with Tamara. I only dropped by today after getting your key from her."

"What are you talking about?" he asked. "Did my mom do something to her when I was away?"

"I don't know. However, she was greatly affected by the scandal, and when she couldn't reach you on your phone, she concluded that you don't want her anymore."

He clenched his fists and pounded them on the table. "Shit! How could this happen!"

"Bro, why did you switch off your phone for all that time?"

He took his phone out of the bag and dropped it on the table. "My phone is broken. I accidentally dropped it at the airport before my flight to Singapore. I was very busy. I didn't have time to fix it or buy another one. I even forgot to call her using the hotel's landline." He scratched his head. "The trip was abrupt. I didn't even have time to tell her that I was leaving."

"Did you know about the scandal?"

"No," he said, dropping on the couch. "What was it about?"

"I think it would be better if you remain in the dark."

"No. I want to know."

"Fine. Don't say I didn't warn you." He took out his phone and looked online for information on the scandal.

"Here it is," Ty said, handing him his phone.

He sighed and shook his head. "This is not enough for me to abandon the woman I love," Ethan said. "I'm sure that the intention of the person who posted this online was to harm her."

"And he succeeded," Ty said. "Even your mother knows about it."

"I don't care what my mother thinks. My only regret is that I was not there for my woman when she needed me most."

"So what are you going to do?"

Ethan walked to Ty and put his hand on his shoulder. "As a good brother, you're going to tell me where she went."

"But Ethan, I don't know where she is right now."

Ethan narrowed his eyes. "I don't believe you," he said. "When did she leave?"

"Two days ago. Why would I lie to you? I got the key to your house from Tamara this morning. She didn't tell me where she went even after begging her to tell me for your sake."

"I see," he said, shoving hands into his trouser pockets and leaning against the dining table. "Then I will go and find Tamara. She must know where Liz went."

"Do you want me to come along?"

"No. I must do this on my own."

Ethan took his brother's phone and dialed Tamara's number.

"Hello...Ty," Tamara said from the other end.

"Tamara, it is me, Ethan."

"Oh, Ethan. You are back."

"Let's meet. There is something I want to discuss with you."

"Okay."

"Why didn't you just ask her over the phone?" Ty asked when the call ended.

"It will be easy for her to lie to me over the phone," Ethan said. "A face-to-face meeting is better. I will know if she's telling the truth or not."

"Fine. I wish you all the luck, bro."

"I don't need luck. I only need to get my woman back." Ethan said and dashed out of the house.

---

"Did I make you wait for long?" Tamara asked, sitting down.

"No. I could have waited even the whole day," he said and signaled the waiter. "What would you like to have?"

Tamara sighed. "Tea, I guess."

"Two green teas," he told the waiter.

"I presume this meeting has to do with Liz," Tamara said.

Ethan nodded. "Do you know where she went?"

"First tell me, do you forgive her for lying to you about the dinner with friends from college?"

"That is something I will discuss with her when I find her," he said. "Please tell me where she is. I didn't intentionally ignore her. I will explain to her what happened. We don't have to break up over such trivial matters."

"Did she go back to the village?" he asked. "If so, I will go and bring her back."

"Do you even know the way to her home?"

"No. But I will find a way to get there and talk to her."

"That's sweet of you, but she didn't go home," she said. "Liz was very hurt. She thought she had lost you. So, she decided to pursue her other love instead."

Ethan furrowed his brows. "What do you mean?"

"Liz went to Milan to pursue Fashion Design," Tamara said then opened her handbag and took out a white envelope. "She left this for you."

Ethan's face lit up with a smile. "I knew she would not leave without a word," he said, reaching for the envelope.

He read the letter right away.

Hey Babe,

I'm very sorry for letting you down. I'm sorry for lying to you, embarrassing you, and making you look like a fool.

I always thought that we would have a happy ending but it is my fault that our relationship had to end this way. I understand my mistake and humbly accept my punishment. However, I want you to know that my love for you is very deep and never have I betrayed you.

I love you now and will always love you.

Forever yours,

Liz.

"She's stupid. She thinks she can easily get rid of me."

"What did you say?" Tamara asked.

"Thank you," he said and fumbled with his wallet. "Here's the bill." He put the money on the table and left in a rush.

***