Chapter Six

Liz prepared herself and left some minutes after Tamara had left. She was only a few meters away from the bus stop when a car passed by at a high speed and splashed dirty water on her.

"Damn!" she said as she looked at her dirty clothes then shifted her gaze at the car that was almost disappearing from her point of view.

"Liz, calm down," she told herself. "There is nothing you can do about it."

She went back to the house and changed into a new set of clothes then left again. She went around the city, leaving copies of her resume in various organizations. She was hoping to be employed soon.

She got back to the house later in the afternoon.

"Liz you have done your part," she said to herself as she dropped on the couch. "Let God do the rest."

She napped for a while and was woken up by a knock at the door.

"Come in, it's open," she said.

Tamara entered. "Hi dear," she said. "I'm back."

"Why do you knock in your own home?"

Tamara smiled. "That knock was meant to alert you," she said. "What if I entered without knocking and found you doing it with Mr. Dimples? Oh my goodness! Where would I hide?"

Liz smirked. "That head of yours is really something," she said. "Are you talking about Ethan? I don't think he's interested in me. In fact, the chances of us crossing paths again are next to nil because he doesn't even have my phone number. Therefore, it will be good if I just forget him."

Tamara sat beside her and put a hand on her shoulder. "Fine. I won't talk about him anymore."

Liz smiled. "Okay."

"Oh, am so tired," Tamara said, dropping on Liz's lap.

"Let me give you a massage," Liz said as she tried to lift her off her lap.

"No. Let me be," Tamara said. "Am comfortable this way."

"Okay, then I will massage your head." She rubbed and pressed her scalp with her fingers.

"Oh, it feels so good," Tamara said. "I'm starting to feel sleepy."

Liz smiled. "Really? Should I stop?"

"I will beat you up if you stop!"

"Okay. Then I won't stop."

Liz's phone buzzed to notify her of a message. She picked her phone and scanned through the message.

Her face lit up. "Tamara! Tamara!"

"What is it?" she asked. "Why are you yelling my name?"

"It's good news!"

Tamara sat upright. "What good news?"

"Look. I have been invited for a job interview."

"Really?" Tamara read the message on Liz's phone then jumped to her feet and hugged her. "I'm happy for you dear," she said.

"I knew it," Liz said. "Nairobi will not defeat me."

Tamara threw her hands in the air. "Yes! Nairobi is ours!" she said. She held Liz's hands as they jumped up and down together. She suddenly stopped. "Wait, what company is it?"

"A foreign company, I guess," Liz said. "I applied online."

"Mm, let's hope it's legit."

Liz frowned. "Are you pouring water on my parade?"