Chapter One

Sorry I had to make a collage of them I couldn't just not do it lmao I love them so much

__________

April, Senior Year of High School

"Savannah!" my Mom shouts from the kitchen.

Why are parents famous for waiting right when we're comfortable to start shouting for us?

I groan in frustration and shove the covers off of me, walking into the living room.

"What is it?"

"Don't use that tone with me," she says as she holds out an envelope. "You got a letter from Duke."

My eyes widen.

"What?"

"You got your first letter back." She smiles and holds it out to me.

I practically snatch it from her hand, reaching to open it.

"Don't you want to call Liam?" she wonders.

I mutter a cuss word as I turn to my bedroom.

"What was that?" she asks.

"Oh, nothing." I respond, walking to my room.

I grab my phone from my bed and FaceTime my best friend.

After a few rings, his face appears on my screen, along with the tops of his bare shoulders.

"Are you in the shower?" I ask when I see the tile wall behind him.

"Yeah." He says. "Why?"

In answer, I hold up the envelope.

"What is that?" he asks.

"It's a letter from Duke."

His eyes widen on the camera.

"Well did you open it?"

"No, I was waiting for you."

"Well we both work at four, so I'll come over early and we can open it then."

"Okay." I say.

"Alright, I have to wash my hair."

"Okay bye."

I hang up, sitting down on my mattress.

At the beginning of the summer, Liam got me a job working where he works, which is Magnolia Ice Cream and Treats.

After my car accident the guy who hit us paid to fix my car, so I usually drive myself, but every now and again, our shifts will link, so we carpool.

Today is one of the linked days.

It's only two forty five and I'm so restless to open my letter.

I need a distraction.

I grab my robe off the back of my door and go into the bathroom, turning on the shower.

I shut the door and remove my clothing. When the water is steaming hot, I step into the spray.

I soak my body and grab my shampoo, applying it to my hair.

I lather it all in and rinse it out, and then I put in conditioner and leave it to sit while I wash my body.

I rinse off the soap and use my shave butter to shave my body, and after twenty minutes of shaving, I rinse out the conditioner and shut off the water.

When I open the curtain, I look where the towels usually would be, and they're not there.

Oh come on!