Chapter Three

Two weeks zipped past and the more college letters I open, the more anxious I get.

Liam was accepted to Duke, but I wasn't. We both missed out on Cornell and Harvard. I got into Baylor, but he didn't, and he got into Brown, but I didn't. I missed out on University of Florida, but he got in. I didn't get into Johns Hopkins, but he did. I got into Vanderbilt, university of Georgia, and Boston, but he didn't. and to make matters worse, we both got into University of Hawaii. Liam's family was over when I opened my letter. Liam already knew he got in, but when I opened it and told everyone I got in, everyone was happy.

Except Liam.

I could see it in his eyes.

He didn't care that he got in. He doesn't want to go there, and if it comes down to it and we only match for University of Hawaii...well, I'm going to tell him to go to another state.

I just want Liam to be happy. He wants to leave, and I can't be selfish.

He also got into University of Maryland and University of Oregon.

I didn't get into University of Maryland, which leaves University of Oregon.

When we were applying to colleges together, we became attached to University of Oregon. It's obviously in Oregon, which means it snows there, but it rains, too. The campus is covered in beautiful trees and we can bike ride across the campus. Not only that, but it's not far from the ocean, probably about an hour. Liam knows how important the ocean is to me. I love the sea, it's so magical.

And when it snows, I don't have to watch through the window, I can go outside and play in it.

The campus is really safe and I feel okay going there. On top of that, it's the only campus where I feel like I'll do good. The nursing program is excellent for me, and the architecture program is amazing for Liam.

All of the dorm windows have views of the campus or the city and there are so many trees.

I can't even imagine how phenomenal it would be in the winter.

I literally have dreams about going there.

If my letter comes back and I'm rejected, I'm going to cry.

I want to go with Liam. I want to stay with my best friend. I want to leave Hawaii and experience other lifestyles. I want to visit other states and go down paths that I want to go down, and I can't do any of that in a college that everyone I attend high school with is going to.

It's rare for one of us islanders to leave for school.

I sit on my bed working on a study guide for my Spanish exam, waiting for Liam and his family to arrive for dinner.

After what feels like an eternity, I hear the doorbell ring.

Thank god, an excuse to stop studying.

I grab my phone and stand up, walking into the living room. Mom opens the door to let Liam and his Mom and Andrew in, followed by his little sister, Lindsay.

"I got the mail." Liam's Mom, Amelia Evans says, handing the papers to my Mom.

My eyes zone in on my Mom as she takes the mail. My Dad starts greeting everyone, and Noah is here tonight for dinner because he told our parents he didn't want to pay to feed himself tonight.

Everyone settles down to talk in the living room and I hesitate by the hall as my Mom filters through the mail.

"It's here." She says.