Chapter Seven

I lie on my bed, staring blankly at the ceiling.

"What's your problem?" Sofie asks.

"Liam lied to me about Maria." I say quietly.

"What do you mean?" Sofie asks.

"I mean he told me he didn't talk to me because she was controlling, but he was obviously lying. I brought it up multiple times and he kept going with the same story. I don't understand why he can't just tell me the truth. I mean, it's me. I'm his best friend. He should be able to tell me the truth."

"When he said it this morning it was pretty convincing." Sofie says. "I mean, I believe him. Maria seems like the controlling type."

"Well that's true, but Liam was lying."

"I don't think so." She shakes her head.

I sit up.

"Why are you siding with him? I'm your friend, not his."

"Liam's my friend too, but I'm not siding with anybody, I'm just saying I don't think he was lying."

"Well I know he was. I can just feel it. Plus, he couldn't look me in the eye."

She lies down on her bed, sighing.

"Where is he anyways?" she wonders.

"He works until four." I say.

Liam woke me up at seven because he worked at eleven.

He took me to the car part store and after I told him four times I didn't have the money to get my car battery until Friday, he went in and bought it for me with his own money. He said to me, and I quote, "The problem is getting fixed today."

Now I owe Liam a hundred bucks, but he's insistent that I don't need to pay him back.

This isn't the same thing as him buying me a pair of shorts and a tank top at Walmart. Car pieces are expensive, and not only did he buy the battery, he bought tools and fixed my car, and went right from working on my car to work.

"Text him and tell him to meet us for dinner at seven. Tell him to bring Mason." She grins.

I sigh and grab my phone from beside me. I unlock it and text Mason.

Me: do you want to meet sofie and I for dinner at 7 w mason?

"Why at seven?" I ask her.

"Because we're going to the mall." She replies.

"We are?"

"Yeah, I got blood on my sheets and it won't come out, so I need to get new ones. Also, I need a better jacket. I told my parents it wasn't going to be as cold as it actually is when we were shopping for the dorm. I didn't realize it was going to be like this."

"Alright, well we should go now. It's three and we only have a few hours."

She nods in agreement and hops down from her bed, grabbing her keys, phone, and wallet.

"Let's go."

I hope down from my bed and grab the same items, following her out the door.

_________

"What do you think about this one?" Sofie holds up a navy blue coat. It's thick, with fur inside, and there's a hood with fur on the edge of the hood.