Chapter Twenty Two

I walk through the airport with a duffle bag, my phone pressed to my ear.

My parents tried to get me to stay but my respect for them went way down and I just want to be with Liam. I need to make sure he's okay.

He only texted me last night and all he told me was he was back at the dorm and he was safe but he didn't want to talk.

And now I'm so worried that my chest feels tight.

He told me he would pick me up from the airport so it texted him what time I land and all he said was he loved me and for me to fly safe.

"And then basically, I mean, I just god Liam in an uber and I paid for his ticket back to UO." I tell Sofie on the phone. "And the fucking U-Haul took so long so now I'm rushing across the airport because Liam's at the dorm alone and probably really upset and I'm like, three thousand miles away."

"I mean, honestly I think what you did was right, but I don't think you should be mad at your parents," she says.

"Why? They let them in!" I exclaim.

"They were trying to help. It's not like they knew that Andrew put Liam against the wall-"

"They knew," I cut her off. "They knew because Liam told them like three days ago."

"Wait, they knew and they still let him in?"

"Yes!" I exclaim.

"That's messed up," she mutters.

"I know." I say.

Last call for boarding flight 297 to Portland.

I pick up the pace, getting to the gate just as the attendant goes to close it.

"I'm sorry." I gasp.

She looks a little annoyed as she takes my pass.

"Alright Sof, I gotta go."

"Alright dude, let me know when you land so I like, know the plane didn't crash in the middle of the pacific."

"I will, love you."

"Love you, bye."

The line clicks as the lady gives me back my pass.

"Have a good flight," she says.

"Thank you."

I check my ticket for my seat as I walk on and sigh in relief when I see I got the window in the middle of the plane.

I sit down after putting my bags in the overhead compartment, and I pull out my phone to text Liam.

Me: hey bud, I'm about to take off. 11:30 okay?

Buddy: ok

I sigh softly at his phone.

Buddy: if I can find a way to get in your dorm and get your keys can I take your car I got a flat on the way home yesterday and I'm driving on a donut

Me: that's fine

Buddy: ok bye

I sigh slowly because he's really upset and I can tell even through his texts. A moment later, my phone vibrates again.

Buddy: I love you Savannah. Fly safe

I smile.

Me: I love you too Buddy

I put my phone on airplane mode and pull out my earbuds, plugging them in.

I go into Spotify and hit shuffle, my heart hurting at the thought of Liam at home, alone and sad.