Chapter Nine

I lie in my bed, my tears falling sideways in the direction of my pillow. My knee is ripped open from when I fell and it's probably still bleeding, but I don't care.

The pain in my heart makes the pain in my knee feel like nothing.

I scroll mindlessly through the Instagram page unsaidphrases, reading the most heart wrenching phrases and quotes my eyes have ever absorbed.

Sofie is sitting on her bed on her laptop, whistling.

"Just let me know when you're ready to address your true feelings," she says.

I ignore her, stopping on a quote that makes my heart feel like it's being ripped from my chest.

What if someone who is so constant suddenly disappears out of your life? Maybe that why I don't like getting attached. I don't like the idea of giving someone the power to destroy my heart by choosing to walk away. I want to guard my heart. I want to save myself.

I bury my head in my pillow and start crying harder.

"What if everything changes?" I cry. "What if we're not friends anymore?"

"That won't happen." Sofie says without looking up from her computer.

"Why?" I sniffle.

"Because you love Liam, too."

I don't respond.

I don't love Liam.

As least, I don't think I do.

It's been three hours. How is he doing?

I peek out from my blanket to look at Sofie.

"Is Liam okay?" I ask.

"No idea. You should call him."

"I hate you so much." I tell her.

"No you don't, you hate the way you feel and you're angry at me because you know I'm right, you're just afraid to admit it."

I mean, me and Liam? That's absurd. I don't look at him like that. He's just...Liam. He's my best friend. He's the best person in my life.

And he's a good hugger.

He's a really good hugger.

I could really go for one of Liam's hugs right now.

The thought of Liam being here with me and hugging me makes me start crying again.

"Let's listen to some music." Sofie says happily. She clears her throat, "Alexa?"

The blue ring on her speaker lights up. "Play my playlist on spotify."

Alexa pauses. "Which playlist?" she asks Sofie.

"Savannah's in love with Liam, she just doesn't know it yet."

Her ring flashes blue a couple of times, and then the song Jealous by Labyrinth comes on.

"Dude, want to see my slideshow I made?" Sofie asks.

It could distract me from Liam.

"Sure." I sniffle, forcing myself to sit up.

I'm jealous of the rain

That falls upon your skin

It's closer than my hands have been

I'm jealous of the rain