Picking up the Broken Pieces

Izuku's eyes opened tiredly.  His head felt fuzzy, as he scanned the room.  He was in a hospital bed, one of his hands was handcuffed to the stand of the bed.

He pushed his body up and bit his lip, I didn't die.

He grabbed a fistful of the bedsheet, and squeezed it hard in anger.

He took a shaky breath and released the bed sheet, thankfully he was alone. He needed time to breathe, time to think.

He took long, deep breaths to try and calm his shaky hands, and trembling body.

"Why did it have to happen like this?" Izuku said weakly to himself, "I just wanted to be a hero, and save people, so why?"

His head snapped to the side as he heard the door open, his eyes immediately filled with tears.

"Mom..." his voice cracked.

"Izuku," she said softly, rushing in and enveloping him in a tight hug.

"I'm so sorry," tears came like waterfalls down his face.

"Why did you do it?" She pulled away from him, her face eerily calm.

"I-I'm a bad person." He looked away and clutched the bed sheets again.

"No, no you're not, Izuku-"

"You don't understand, Mom, I HURT people, at-at least I tried too- I-I"

"Izuku,"

"No-No I don't deserve to be alive, I-"

"IZUKU," Inko shrieked, "Don't you ever say that."

Izuku immediately broke down and started crying, Inko reached over and comforted him.

Aizawa and Toshinori stood outside the door quietly, listening to the heartbreaking scene.

"Izuku," Inko looked at her son with comforting eyes, "Please, talk to me."

Izuku took a shaky breath and spoke, "C-Can you turn around?"

Inko titled her head in question.

"I-I just can't... look you in the eyes."

She nodded and turned around.

"I-It began with the... nightmares," he started, "I never really told you, mom, but I was... bullied a lot in middle school-"

"Izuku-" she tried to intervene.

"Please, don't speak." He took another breath, "It got worse each night, it brought back so many things that I hate about myself." His voice started breaking again, but he kept going, "It felt hopeless, everything I did.  And t-then I got kidnapped-"

"You what!?" Inko jumped from her seat, "I'm sorry, but when did that happen and why wasn't I informed!?"

Izuku blinked, "Oh.  I guess... somehow the timeline got a restart?  I'm talking about... the timeline before this?  I don't know if I'm making sense."

Inko slowly sat back down, "...Continue."

On the other side of the door Aizawa and Toshinori flinched at the coming pain Inko would feel as she remembered.

"Shigiraki... Hurt me.  The words he was telling me were burned into my brain like the blades that burned my skin."

Inko flinched But remained silent.

"I suddenly... wanted all the pain to stop.  I thought that... if I... killed them... it would somehow make me feel better."

Inko suddenly clutched her head and squeaked.