The Promise

: We were best friends before, but everything changes when I confessed my feelings to you.

Zach and I have been best friends since birth. Our parents were best friends too when they were young. And that is the reason why we grew close to each other.

We're not the same age. Zach was a year older than me. But even though, we still treat each other as brother and sister.

Well, maybe only him. I have these feelings for him which has been hiding inside me for years now.

I knew that if I tell this to him our friendship wouldn't be the same anymore.

Our parents always tease us that we were good for each other. And that we should get married.

But we always just laugh it off. And Zach always tell me that it wouldn't happen. Not a chance.

When he says that my heart always breaks into pieces. But I just agree with him so that he wouldn't suspect.

This is it. I thought to myself.

The time I'm going to tell Zach what I really feel.

It was a late afternoon when I texted Zach: 'Hey can we meet, I'm going to tell you something important.'

After 5 minutes he replied: 'Sure, I'm going to tell you something too.'

My heart skipped a bit at his text. Maybe he likes me too.

A couple of minutes passed, I heard the doorbell rang. I quickly made my way downstairs to open it. Since no one's home but me.

When I opened the door, I saw Zach standing with an excited emotion on his face.

"Hi" I told him nervous. "Hello, so what is it you're going to tell me?" He asked.

"Um, let's go inside first."

He entered and we both sat next each other in the sofa.

Zach looked at me with a serious emotion on his face.

"Before I tell you this, promise me that whatever happens we will still be best friends, okay?" I told him with my pinky finger out.

"I promise." He said and did the pinky promise with me.

"Okay, you go first." I said. "What? I thought you'll go first!" "Okay, I'll go first." He said.

"Y/n I want you to know that....." he started. "I have a girlfriend!" He exclaimed happily.

"You have a what?" I asked him. "A girlfriend, isn't that cool?" He said.

"Yeah, I know but why didn't you tell me this sooner?" I asked him. "Because I thought you might not like her." "Yeah, well, good for you." I told him as I plastered a fake smile.

"So what's yours?" He asked me. "Mine? Oh yeah just forget about it."

I stood up and made my way to my room. I couldn't take it anymore. Seeing the person I love happy with someone else.

Before I can run and anything else, Zach took a hold of my wrist and pulled me.

"Y/n what's wrong? You can tell me everything."

"What? There's nothing wrong, I'm fine." I said not looking at him.

"I know you Y/n, there's something going on that you don't want to tell me. And I also know that you're not fine." He said in a serious tone.

"Look at me and tell me what's going on."

This time, tears are already trailing down my face that's why I didn't want to look at him but I did eventually.

"You wanna know what's wrong Zach? Well this is what's wrong. I am in love with you! I always am. All these years that we have been best friends I am having these feelings for you. And even if I try not to, I can't. It's eating me up inside and that's why I wanted to tell you this. But you were to naive to know that. And maybe I was wrong all along. Because guess what? You have a girlfriend. And you didn't even care to tell me." I said crying.

Zach lets go of my wrist and looks down the floor. "Y/n, I'm sorry that you felt that way. And I didn't. But- but I gotta go."

Then he left. I was left there standing and crying the whole time.

I knew it. I knew he wouldn't keep that promise.