Overprotective

: Met my high school crush at the mall. But I didn't expect my boyfriend to react this way.

I went to the mall today to buy a present for my sister's birthday. Zach came with me but we separated since he was going to the barber shop to cut his hair.

As I was checking out a dress, someone patted my shoulder.

I thought it was Zach but when I turned around I saw my high school classmate, Hayes Grier.

"Hi Y/n." He greeted. "Oh hi Hayes, Didn't expect to see you here." I said a bit shocked. "You almost scared me to death."

He chuckled. "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to scare you."

I couldn't help but admit that Hayes was my crush back in high school. Since he has the most beautiful eyes I've seen. Actually we weren't that close. But we made some small talks back then. That's why we knew each other. And besides my affection for him faded when I met Zach.

"Well that's okay. What are you doing here anyway?" I asked. "I'm just waiting for Nash. Because he's buying something for his girlfriend."

"How about you?" He asked. "Well I'm just buying a present for my sister. Her birthday is in a week."

"So, how are things?" He asked. "Oh not much, things are fine." I said. "How about your dog, Zan how is h-"

"Who's this guy?" Zach asked from behind me while wrapping his arms around my shoulder, pulling me closer to him.

"Oh yeah, Zach I would like you to meet Hayes, my classmate back in high school. And um Hayes I would like you to meet Zach. He's my boy-"

"Boyfriend." Zach said cutting me off.

"Nice to meet you dude." Hayes said with his hand out. "You too." Zach said as they both shook each other's hand."

"Isn't he the guy you're telling me about?" He whispered to my ear. "Yes. He is."

"So um Hayes, you want to maybe grab some food with us?" I asked. "Sure let's go." He said.

The three of us went to eat at Taco Bell. As I was about to go to the counter to buy our food Zach grabbed my hand.

"I'll buy our food. You stay here." He said bluntly. "Hayes come with me."

I've waited for a couple of minutes now and I've noticed that the two of them aren't back yet. I looked at the counter and I didn't see them there.

I was confused on where they went. But when I looked at the counter once again, I saw the both of them ordering.

When they arrived the table with our food. I asked them where'd they went. "Where were you guys?"

"Nowhere. We were just talking about what are we going to order." Hayes said a bit nervous. "Okay. Come on let's eat. I'm starving." I said.

The whole meal was a bit awkward. Hayes wasn't looking anywhere but at his food and I saw Zach glancing at him every minute.

I knew what was going on. Zach must've told Hayes something because he knew that I've liked him before. But I don't know what is it.

"Maybe we can hangout again sometime?" I asked Hayes. "Umm.." he said and he looked at Zach for a moment. "Uhh... su- sure. He said a bit alarmed.

"So Hayes thanks for eating with us. I'm glad to see you again." I said. "You too Y/n. I guess I better get going then." Hayes said. "Um, bye to you too bro." He said to Zach.

"Bye." Zach said to him in a serious tone.

After Hayes left, I looked at Zach and he was focused on the area where Hayes left. He was staring there until he was gone.

"What was that about?" I asked him. "What was what about? He asked acting to be confused. "Come on Zach, I know you said something to Hayes that made him a bit scared."

"Okay. Okay. Maybe I did say something." He said. "What is it?" I asked. "I just told him to stay away from you or else-" "Or else what?" "Or else he's never going to see you again."

"How could you say that to him?" I said hitting his arm. "It's cause, I don't want him making a move on you. Knowing that you liked him before." He admitted.

"Aww Zach, you know I wouldn't replace you even if you get easily jealous sometimes."  "I'm not jealous." He said. "Then what do you call your behavior earlier?"

"Protective. I was protecting you from guys that may take you away from me." He said. "Then Thank you Zach. Thank you for always protecting me. That's why I love you. You make me feel safe all the time."

"I love you too."