Chapter 1

My finger tips drifted through the grass while I enjoyed the sunshine on my legs. The scent of the forest was such a relief compared to the antiseptic smell of the hospital. I knew I needed to move but I was so tired. Thanks to the sun shine I was warmer than I had been in months. My stomach had stopped growling and my aches dulled. A few more minutes of rest wouldn't hurt or so I thought.

The sound of leaves shifting made me jerk awake. I had fallen asleep. I jumped to my feet. My body throbbed at the sudden movement. My eyes searched my surroundings. I couldn't remember where I was or what was going on. I was still in the forest, not in that room, not in a hospital. That was a relief. I found myself looking at someone. It took far to long to realize they were looking at me as well. My stomach flopped and I took several steps back.

"It's ok! I won't come any closer." She said quickly.

I paused. She sounded even more afraid than me. She glanced down at the simple gown that covered my body. I didn't have any clothes when I left the hospital and I hadn't come across any in the woods. The hospital gown was all I had. The woman shifted and sat down. My eye brows creased. That was such a dangerous move. If I had any intent to harm her she would be extremely vulnerable in that position.

"I saw you a few days ago. I didn't think you would still be out here." She said quietly. I almost couldn't hear her she spoke so softly. I leaned forward to catch her words. Stupid human hearing.

"I assume from your clothes you might need some help..." I shook my head. Absolutely not. I was fine on my own. I didn't need or want anyone.

"...well what if I said I could really use some help?" Her question made me pause. Did she actually need help? Did I care if she actually needed help?

"My sister asked me and my husband to look after her shop for a week but my husband is out of town and I don't have anyone else to help me... It would be an easy way for you to earn something to help you get back on your feet." She said.

I glanced over her. I couldn't figure out what her agenda was. She didn't even know me. It didn't make sense for her to try and help me.

"I know it seems a little strange to offer a stranger a job but I can see that... Sweetheart you are really young. Judging by your outfit you've been going through something pretty bad." She said.

This was a bad idea but she was getting to me. Maybe it would help. Maybe an offered hand wouldn't kill me. Since death was the penalty for trespassing and dying wasn't even what I was afraid of right now it seemed worth a try.

Alisa, as she had introduced herself, offered me tasks to do like cleaning, restocking, baking. They were really simple. The coffee shop was cute. Rustic and minimal but not rundown. It was peaceful. She had given me some clothes. She said they were part of the uniform, but it was just jeans and a t-shirt with the shop name on it. She paid me at the end of each day. The first day I went out and bought a pair of shoes that fit and some pants so I could return the ones she had let me borrow. It was good if not great. I didn't even have to interact with people. By day three I had a routine down. Alisa didn't press me for information and I didn't offer any.

Staying until day five was my mistake. I could feel the shift in the air when he walked in. A werewolf. I stayed down where I was behind the counter. I had intended to clean up the small spill but I couldn't bring myself to move. I clinched the rag in my hands tightly and just stared at the spill. Someone at the counter cleared their throat. I tried to remember where Alisa was. I couldn't talk to customers and certainly not to a werewolf.