Chapter 23.

I felt like I had swallowed a few hot coals. My throat burned. Breathing in I could practically smell the burnt flesh. I didn't move. I kept my breathing level and my eyes closed tight. I had learned not to alert anyone I was awake until I knew the situation. I wasn't sure what had happened or where I was. The sickening scent of antiseptic was a clue that made my heart ache. I screamed internally at my failure. The sound of voices was the only difference from the hell I had been stuck in for so many months.

"...surgery went well then why did you call all three of us in?" I couldn't place the voice but it sounded familiar.

"The damage I repaired needs to be discussed among a few other discoveries." I knew that one. Mat-something. Matty. No Matty was a girls name it was something else. Something masculine.

"So, tell us Matthew. What's going on?" Another voice said. His tone was urgent and demanding. I made a mental note of the name, Matthew. I knew that.

"The scaring on the inside of her throat is from similar instances like this. Each repair had to of been done so that it would cause this reaction whenever she attempted to speak or scream again." Matty said.

"This was deliberate?" I knew that one. The Alphas voice was an odd mixture of calm and angry.

"Very." Matty said. "I repaired as best I could but under the circumstances she may require additional surgeries if she wants to be able to speak again."

"But it is possible? With these additional surgeries she could actually speak again?" The betas voice was still urgent.

"I don't recommend it. There's no guarantee it would work and she lost a lot of blood. We can't give her a transfusion we don't have a match." He said.

"What do you mean we don't have a match? We should be the same blood type." The beta said.

"Rylan isn't a werewolf anymore. She can't take in werewolf blood." Matty said.

"So, we can go to the humans they have blood banks. There's bound to be a match." The voice that had spoken first said.

"She isn't human. If she rejects the blood... which is very likely... it will kill her." Matty said.

"Does she need the blood now?" The alpha asked.

"No not yet but if anything goes wrong..." Matty said.

"If anything goes wrong let me know. I will handle it." The alpha said.

"How?" Matty asked.

"What else is there?" The alpha asked ignoring his question.

"I took a few X-rays. To see if her ribs were fractured." Matty said.

"They are?" The beta guessed.

"Yes but the x-ray shows several partially healed fractures as well." Matty said.

"What do you mean?" The beta asked.

"Her ribs have been broken repeatedly within the course of a year judging by their stage of healing." Matty said.

"Can you tell from when?" The alpha asked.

"Aside from the newest  they range anywhere from six to fourteen months old." Matty said.

"What..." I didn't hear who was talking or what they were saying. The machine next to me beeped and everything faded back into black.

"...OUT OF HERE." The sound of shouting pulled me away from the dark. There was a hushed whisper that I couldn't make out.

"NO! You don't understand. She can't be in here. She can't wake up in here. Silas, Do something please!! Don't leave her locked in a fucking box!!" The woman was hysterical. I felt bad for her but there was nothing I could do. The yelling grew muffled and then vanished. I let the darkness pull me back to sleep.