Chapter 30.

I could hear the music before we had even pulled to a stop. It was way too loud. My regret was instantaneous. There was no way I would have fun if this place was as crazy and crowded as it sounded. My heart picked up and my palms started to sweat just thinking about how many people had to be in there.

"Ready?" Thomas asked excitedly.

I nodded.

I was here. There was no point in running home now. Nothing bad had happened yet. I climbed out of the truck before Thomas could come around to my side. I didn't want to risk another awkward kiss disaster. He grabbed my hand as we walked toward the house. My pulse jumped. I'd never held hands with anyone. It was an odd sensation. More than anything I felt like a child trying to cross the street.

The music only intensified once we opened the door. There were so many people crammed into the small house that I had to paused. Thomas stopped with me but gave me an odd look. He didn't understand why I had stopped. I looked out at all the dancing people. I couldn't suppress my anxiety about having to move through them. I was terrified I would be trapped in there. I didn't want anyone to touch me and that would be impossible in a place like this. I had to pull myself together. This was a normal event for anyone my age. Thomas gave my hand a light tug and I allowed my body to follow him in. I held my breath and forced myself to move through the crowd of people on numb legs.

"Would you like a drink!?" Thomas asked over the music.

I nodded. Maybe some water or juice would help with my new-found numbness. I scanned the crowd slowly. Everyone seemed to be laughing and smiling. They were enjoying the party. Thomas pressed a glass into my hand. I gave him a small nod in thanks. I couldn't bring myself to smile. I was barely remembering to breathe. He grabbed my hand again and pulled me away from the crowd towards another room. Once in the room he shut the door. It helped a little with the noise. This room had people in it as well but not as many.

"Are you ok?" He asked.

I nodded and took a drink. I covered my mouth. I hadn't expected the sudden burn of alcohol because f the fruity scent but I managed to swallow without coughing.

"Heeyyy... Thomas!" Someone called excitedly.

"Hey Abby." Thomas nodded to her but kept his focus on me. The girl came over followed by a few others.

"I'm Abby." She said holding her hand out to me. I offered my hand back uncomfortably and glanced at Thomas for some kind of help.

"Ohh uhm this is Rylan." Thomas said. "She's mute."

His words caught me off guard. Mute? It wasn't inaccurate but it didn't feel right to be labeled like that.

"A mute huh? Pretty cool." Said one of the guys. "I'm Chase."

"And I'm Beth." Said one of the other girls. She enunciated carefully as if I would have trouble understanding if she tried to speak in a normal way.

I nodded to each but carefully made no motion to shake hands. I took another drink from my glass in hopes of distracting myself from how awkward this whole thing was beginning to feel.

"Did you come to play?" Chase asked.

"Sure." Thomas said. "What are you guys playing?"

"Strip poker." Chase said with a wink.

"I'm in..." Thomas looked at me. No way in hell was I playing strip anything. I shook my head.

"Oh I mean nah we'll sit this one out." Thomas said.